dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Which Is the Best Platform To Make A Website

Which Is the Best Platform To Make A Website

Hello everyone,

My greeting to everyone in the forum community. I am looking forward to make my business website. So that more and more prospect can be familiar with my business. Is PHP is the right option to make a website? looking forward for your valuable suggestion.

Thanks
    Liza

PHP is more than qualified to do what you want.

I may have misunderstood the question, but I'd point out that you cannot develop a site in PHP alone. PHP works with HTML and CSS to provide a richer environment than just HTML and CSS. E.g. it allows you to assign variables and configure the page display depending upon those variables. It also acts as an interface to a MySQL database, though that use is more advanced.

What I'm trying to say is that you should start with HTML and CSS, then when you are reasonably familiar with them, add PHP code to do things better.

Best languages to create websites these will help you to create a best website
    java
    PHP
    ASP NET
    OR

Webdesign services
    website redesigning services

PHP is a web programming language and is just for server side scripting and not for designing/making a website. First of all you need to have a design/template for your web project. You can create a design with web editor tools like frontpage, dreamweaver, coffee cup software etc.

PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizasmith View Post
    I am looking forward to make my business website. So that more and more prospect can be familiar with my business.
    You do not need PHP at all to build a business website. So forget about PHP for now. The only time you may need it, is in a contact form perhaps. However there are millions of business websites for small businesses out there done purely in bog standard HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizasmith View Post
    Is PHP is the right option to make a website? looking forward for your valuable suggestion.
    No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    PHP is more than qualified to do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by rafijaan View Post
    Best languages to create websites these will help you to create a best website
    java
    PHP
    ASP NET
    Goodness me, where is a "hitting your head on a brick wall" emoticon when you need one?

Rafi, Java and ASP can be extremely challenging to learn. I feel it is unwise to even mention them to someone without a proper grounding in other languages. It is like getting a theoretical mathematician to teach primary school kids PHD level mathematics before they learn to add up.

Now I'm not blasting Liza, as she/he isn't aware of all the languages in web development, but it is completely misleading for others to be posting nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    I may have misunderstood the question, but I'd point out that you cannot develop a site in PHP alone. PHP works with HTML and CSS to provide a richer environment than just HTML and CSS. E.g. it allows you to assign variables and configure the page display depending upon those variables. It also acts as an interface to a MySQL database, though that use is more advanced.

What I'm trying to say is that you should start with HTML and CSS, then when you are reasonably familiar with them, add PHP code to do things better.
    Give that guy/girl a cookie!

PHP is far more complex and a steeper learning curve than basic HTML/CSS. As jeda said, it is just one script, often used as an interface to databases and servers for emails, just for one example. Although it does a lot more, you cannot build a website in PHP alone. HTML is the backbone of EVERY site. So that should be learnt first.

Liza should learn HTML first. Then after that, learn Javascript and how to implement that. Javacript is the very first language after HTML anyone should be introduced to. Then go more advanced and learn how to use CSS and well as other variants/shoot offs of HTML. Then and only then, after quite a while, learn something well documented like PHP.

PHP or ASP.net, both are strong and robust scripting languages for deploying any website. But more important to make a website popular on the WWW is the strategy behind it and no scripting language creates any bottle necks for any website to get ranked well, provided the standards are followed and scripts are written by experts.

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666 View Post
    Give that guy/girl a cookie!

Liza should learn HTML first. Then after that, learn Javascript and how to implement that. Javacript is the very first language after HTML anyone should be introduced to. Then go more advanced and learn how to use CSS and well as other variants/shoot offs of HTML. Then and only then, after quite a while, learn something well documented like PHP.
    Thanks for the compliment. You are right that HTML is the correct starting point, but I'm not so sure about the order of the "add ons". Surely she should learn CSS before JS (JavaScript)? HTML and CSS are the foundations of good web development.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    but I'm not so sure about the order of the "add ons". Surely she should learn CSS before JS (JavaScript)? HTML and CSS are the foundations of good web development.
    It is a debatable aspect for sure. Well I hope we can agree that Javascript should be the first language aside from HTML/XML/CSS/etc that one should learn? It's the most basic and a student can learn a lot from a simple time and date script or millisecond intervals in time related scripts.

IMHO, one should learn old school HTML, with tables and frames, then a basic scripting language like Javascript, then progress to how pages are really made nowadays. In many IT degree modules, a student will learn basic HTML and Javascript before any other languages or variants.

Although it is outdated and as hideous as Frankenstein to create tables (even the word makes most shudder), many sites including ones like Ebay still don't allow CSS or frames in the code for customised listings, it is strictly HTML with tables.

CSS gives satisfying modern results, however, if one wants to commit to development, knowing how to manipulate older pages and the history behind webpages can be invaluable.

It is a debatable aspect for sure. Well I hope we can agree that Javascript should be the first language aside from HTML/XML/CSS/etc that one should learn? It's the most basic and a student can learn a lot from a simple time and date script or millisecond intervals in time related scripts.
    I'm not so sure. I lean towards learning the basics of PHP (without MySQL) before JS. People, mistakenly, think that PHP is just an interface to databases, it isn't. It gives HTML the ability to assign and use variables, which is the most basic ability of any "proper" computer language.

It also has the advantage of being processed on the server not the client. This reduces the traffic, and protects the clever bits of your code from prying eyes. I found it very easy to learn, but I must admit bias: I'm an old 3GL programmer who has moved on to web developing. So PHP is like home to me. Why HTML was conceived without it defeats me!

IMHO, one should learn old school HTML, with tables and frames, then a basic scripting language like Javascript, then progress to how pages are really made nowadays. In many IT degree modules, a student will learn basic HTML and Javascript before any other languages or variants.
    Here I have to disagree. Just three years ago, when I decided to make the transition from 3GL, I took an adult education course in web development. It was all table based, and was a waste of time. I have had to re-learn everyting I was taught! Are you old enugh to remember the time that teachers thought it was a good ideat to teach phonetic English to five-year-olds before introducing real English? It was a fiasco. The poor kids had to re-learn everything they had been taught, because it was all wrong. Teaching students today to built table-based web sites is equally wrong. Students shoud learn and use CSS from the outset.

Although it is outdated and as hideous as Frankenstein to create tables (even the word makes most shudder), many sites including ones like Ebay still don't allow CSS or frames in the code for customised listings, it is strictly HTML with tables.
    Is that a good reason for continuing to teach future web developers that???

CSS gives satisfying modern results, however, if one wants to commit to development, knowing how to manipulate older pages and the history behind webpages can be invaluable.
    I suspect you have a nostalgic attachment to table based HTML, the way I fondly remember machine code and asembly language programming? Thirty years ago I could read and write Intel 8080 machine code without using a mnemonic assembler. Neither that nor table based HTML are relevant today.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 06-01-2012 at 04:42 AM.

.php is best option for a website, my own website regarding EB 5 visa and Real Estate Development also developed on .php.
    So in my point of view you can make it on .php
    Best of luck.

php and java

You asked wrong question. And from it I can almost safely assume that you are not IT guy.
    To decide what programming language to use you should ask how I build my site?
    Start with
    functionality overview.
    Business rules
    Intended audience
    Intended for distribution of content or goods?
    Expected service area, how many visitors will be served.
    Design preferences

When you have answer for this questions you can decide if you want to go for external/internal development team or if you just need CMS.
    In case of CMS all what you will need is to find good hosting who will provide you with the choice of CMS ranging from Movable Type, Drupal, Ruby on rails to Umbraco or Ektron...
    And in case of development team you will have choice of almost as powerful as a next guy languages like PHP, ASP.NET, C# (.NET technologies), JAVA etc.
    They all have their own pluses and minuses and if anyone will tell you that this one is best - chances that he is working with it on daily basis about 100%, and not because it is true.
    Some more expensive, other more complex but none comes cheap. Unless it comes from some unknown source without any maintenance and support agreement...
    Last edited by alexsts; 06-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Are folks actually hand coding sites these days? With platforms like WordPress, Joomla!, etc... who in their right mind builds from scratch? WordPress in the hands of one reasonably proficient in xhtml, css, and php can build a site in no time with loads of functionality.

Thread Information