www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to open a link in a new window as before?

How to open a link in a new window as before?

I have link as <a href="url">Link text</a>. I am trying to open this link in a new window but not only that. When I go back to my page and click on the link again so I want to jump to the same page (if it's still open) and refresh it.

So the first time I click on the link ... a new window
    the second time I click on the link ... if the previous window is still open ... jump there and refresh.

Do you have any idea how to address the same window if it is open?
    Thanks for any humm...

This is exactly what the target attribute is for!

By specifying a unique 'framename' (not to be confused with HTML frames/framesets) you can open/reopen a link (or a set of links) in a specific window/tab

The target="" attribute always is misused because browsers are still reacting to it incorrectly. Sites do not control how links are opened on a web page. The links are set by the users' browsers' settings for Tabs. Or, they can right click any link and select to open in a new window or tab from the popup Context Menu.

Avoid forcing to open in a new window: http://www.webnauts.net/new-window.html
    Force links to open in new window: http://www.knowlegezone.com/pages/document.aspx?item=9

If you want a correct way, which is not aways reliable depending on JS being enabled in the browser, use:

Open new window:

Code:
    onclick="window.open (this.href, ''); return false"

Thread Information