www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Why can't I accesss a site I know exists?

Why can't I accesss a site I know exists?

I don't know where to ask this question but as this site has served me brilliantly in the past, I thought I would try here.

I am trying to access a site which I know exists as I can access it from other computers. The site's address is

ci-edwardians.co.uk

I run a sister site which relies on a style sheet situated on the above site, but as my computer cannot access it then the sister site is incorrectly formatted. The sister site is

sec50.net84.net

Has anybody got any suggestions on this, or can point me to an appropriate forum?

Do you have permission to link the style sheet from the Edwardian folks? I know that if I found someone hotlinking to my style sheets, images, etc, without my permission, I'd block them. Perhaps that's what they did?

Dave

A good sugestion, but I don't think it is so in this case. We developed both sites together.

I didn't have any issues adding the sheet to your site from the console:
    PHP Code:
    var css document.createElement('style');
    css.innerHTML "@import url('http://ci-edwardians.co.uk/CDStyleCI.css')";
    document.body.appendChild(css); 
    And the HTTP log showed this request, which return the expected stylesheet:
    Code:
    GET /CDStyleCI.css HTTP/1.1
    Host: ci-edwardians.co.uk
    Connection: keep-alive
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.46 Safari/536.5
    Accept: text/css,*/*;q=0.1
    Referer: http://sec50.net84.net/
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
    Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
    Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3
    Cookie: /* snip! */
    I'm guessing the site was either experiencing difficulties at the time, the stylesheet was moved, or you linked it wrong.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Though, I'm now curious as to whether I've misunderstood the issue.

Are you currently unable to see ci-edwardians.co.uk at all from your computer?
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

Thumbs up

To clarify:

I cannot access the site ci-edwardians.co.uk from my computer although others can (from their computers), something which is confirmed by responders here.

This inability for my computer to be denied access extends to any cite which depends on the style sheet residing on ci-edwardians. Access to these other cites is not denied but the formatting is deficient. I can solve this formatting by puttting a copy of the style sheet on my site and referring directly to this. there is no problem with access to other sites.

The host has suggested (as has Dave) that my IP is blocked. could we have done this inadvertantly? How can I tell if this has happened. The other webmaster is as mystified as I am.

Presuming the server is running Apache, you could be blocked in either the main Apache configuration (controlled by Edwardian's hosting service) or a file called .htaccess in the Edwardian's top level directory. So the latter can be checked by your friend, but the former needs to be checked by the support folks for the web host.

The Deny could look like:
    Deny from 1.2.3.4
    Deny from sec50.net84.net

Dave

Does the computer in question connect via a proxy server somewhere in the route from computer to web site? (They might be blocking that proxy server or proxies in general.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

DNS could also be an issue. Make sure you didn't write an override in your host file that you've forgotten about. And ensure that you see the correct IP addresses at the command line. NS issues can be transient and difficult to detect.

Code:
    > host ci-edwardians.co.uk
    ci-edwardians.co.uk has address 31.170.162.247
    ci-edwardians.co.uk mail is handled by 0 aspmx.l.google.com.
    If you're on a window machine, the command is nslookup in place of host.
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

Thread Information