www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FTP client with unzip ability

FTP client with unzip ability

Is there an FTP client that has an unzip ability?

i.e. something that will allow me to upload a zip file and then allow me to unzip that file by right clicking or something

I'm sure purists would claim that 'unzipping' is not part of FTP functionality
    Yes - but it wouldn't take a genius to add some sort of extra web functionality and make it become a 'hybrid' program

I like using Filezilla - but then this doesn't have the unzip functionality
    I am forced to use my Cpanel file explorer - this sucks! I hate the clunky ancient interface

Thanks

OM

Once the file is on the server, you would need shell access, which an FTP client would not normally have through an FTP login. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would probably have to connect over rsh to an actual login account on the server (if it allows it).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Once the file is on the server, you would need shell access, which an FTP client would not normally have through an FTP login. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would probably have to connect over rsh to an actual login account on the server (if it allows it).
    see, that's JUST my point!
    let's take filezilla
    it operates exactly as an ftp client as does
    BUT... let's change the right click to give some more functionality
    right click a file and u get a few options
    if u right click a zip file, you get the chance to unzip at it's location

when the right click happens, an rsh (if that's what it's called) command gets sent
    if the host is rsh compatible, then great
    else, nothing happens

u would maybe later add in some extra error and fool proof checking - but just for now, JUST this one thing would be amazing!

actually, add to that mass deleting or moving files in a similar fashion - so u don't have to go through the file by file wait!

i'd love to say that i'm a genius and have come up with a great solution - but surely others have come up with a similar idea?

keep ftp for all the good bits, but then add a few extra functionalities

i did do a google search on the topic and found one or 2 threads asking why filezilla didn't have this sort of functionality
    a 'great' defender was throwing the rule book about saying those hideous command ideas should be banished because they were not ftp compliant or something to that effect!

Thread Information