www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Responsive Design URL

Responsive Design URL

Hi, i have been reading up a lot about responsive design lately... will responsive design do away with the need for having a mobile. prefix at the start of a url (mobile.sitename.com) or do responsive designs tend to keep the mobile.sitename.com

Not all websites can adjust themselves gracefully to the differences between mobile and desktop systems merely by changing stylesheets. So I would expect that many will keep a separate website for each for some time to come.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

It is very easy to write websites that adjust for limited screen widths. The problem is, in my experience, that it is very restrictive on the design unless you use JavaScript (which I try to avoid as far as posssible).

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    It is very easy to write websites that adjust for limited screen widths. The problem is, in my experience, that it is very restrictive on the design unless you use JavaScript (which I try to avoid as far as posssible).
    You can use media queries... This allows you to have layouts that work for ranges of sizes such as 800x600, 60x60, 320x90, etc without the need for javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    You can use media queries... This allows you to have layouts that work for ranges of sizes such as 800x600, 60x60, 320x90, etc without the need for javascript.
    That sounds to me like designing pages specifically for mobiles. How can you view a normal web page on a 60x60 screen, however you lay it out?
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 05-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    That sounds to me like designing pages specifically for mobiles. How can you view a normal web page on a 60x60 screen, however you lay it out?
    You adjust how your content is layed out. See: this article.

Quote Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
    Hi, i have been reading up a lot about responsive design lately... will responsive design do away with the need for having a mobile. prefix at the start of a url (mobile.sitename.com) or do responsive designs tend to keep the mobile.sitename.com
    Generally, yes, responsive design is often used to put forth a single design that adapts to work well on range of device types.

There are lots of arguments about which is better: a single responsive design, or 2 designs with one optimized for mobile.

Thread Information