You need to have answers on the following questions first:
1. Where this team will host sites: in-house or third party hosting provider.
2. Do you have a potential portfolio for team to begin with
3. Do you have money to support team for at least 3 years until reputation as a web development company starts working for company Just to clarify, in average salary alone for middle level person in this business around $80K+ per year. And you will need at least 2 developers, 1 DBA, 1 graphic designer, 1 copy editor, 1 network/system specialist, 1 add work specialist, to lead this band of throat cutters you will need IT guy in position like manager/CTO with salary at least $150K.
4. Where is office be located
5. How many developers (software, network, database, graphic designers etc) do you need to start this business
Also if you have no knowledge in the sector, you need a project manager to tie this all together and speak to clients, answering their questions which the OP cannot answer.
Then you need to register your business and provide the hardware and software for the team to do their work.
Mmmmmmmmm 1/2 million dollars minimum to setup your own team or a couple of thousand to get a company to build and maintain your own site?
Mmmmmmmm tricky choice (/sarcasm). However if the OP has over half a million dollars and is foolish enough to listen to some people in this thread, then they deserve to be parted from their money.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code
Here is one more opinion from person who I really believe passionate about what he is saying but at the end it is ericstevens decision what to do.
Considering that owner of the opinion not too good with business math or math in general...
As a minimum he will need 1 mill per year to cover taxes, salary and other small business expenses. But as I mentioned on my original post I would give him cold shower after he answer on all my questions. And I am pretty sure that once he start writing his answers on piece of paper he, as a good businessman would realize if it is in his power to do what he is dreaming about or not.
We are here just as advisers, nothing more.
And by the way I know about Steve, GE and NASA lot more than you can even imagine.