www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My High Search Ranking...What Happened...???

My High Search Ranking...What Happened...???

hello again...

six months ago...if I opened any search engine & typed in 'recording studio, new jersey'...my business was very near the top of the list.

if I typed in 'recording studio, trenton'...I was at the very top of the list.

now...I'm not even on the list...anybody's list...!!!

wonder what could have happened, 'cause the phone has stopped ringing.

thanx,

mark4man
    http://www.moonmixstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark4man View Post
    hello again...

six months ago...if I opened any search engine & typed in 'recording studio, new jersey'...my business was very near the top of the list.

if I typed in 'recording studio, trenton'...I was at the very top of the list.

now...I'm not even on the list...anybody's list...!!!

wonder what could have happened, 'cause the phone has stopped ringing.

thanx,

mark4man
    moonmixstudios.com
    Hi Mark, I'm no expert, but I can not see why your site was so well placed in the past? Has it had a major rewrite? Anyway, the problems I can see with the site (as it is) are:

1. The title of the site is: <title>MoonMix Studios</title>.

The only refererences to "New Jersey" and "recording studio" I can find are:

2. <meta name="description" content="New Jersey&#39;s newest high-quality, affordable, Recording Studio &amp; Mastering Service"> It may be that the apostrophe and ampersand are confusing the search bot? I'd stick to plain text in the meta details.

3. <meta name="keywords" content=" ... 700 or so characters then... new jersey recording studios, ...">I'm not sure whether search engines even use the keywords nowadays, but even if they do, they may parse only 300 or so characters.

4. I can't find an <h1> tag.

What I'm trying to say is that the search engines seem to like to pick out words from the visible text, not hidden details. E.g. If you search "relativity myths" my site "relativity-myths.org.uk" consistently comes up #1. Why? Because its called that. Similarly, search for "new jersey recording studios" and top of the list will tend to be sites with that in the URL, title or <h1> tag or details.

Like I say, I'm no expert, but I hope that this helps...

thanx...

what is an <h1> tag...???

HTML supports 6 levels of headings in the body. <h1> to <h6> Every web page should have one, and only one, <h1> tag in it, preferably at the beginning of the body. See: http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/block/h1.html

Again, I'm not sure if the search engines still use the <h1> tag, but I'd stick one in anyway. If nothing else, the page should fail validation without one. The important places that seem to be parsed by the search engines are:
    - The URL.
    - The title.
    - The first 200 or so characters of the details.
    - The first 200 or so characters of the body text.

Possibly, they may also parse the first 200 or so characters of the keywords, and the h1 tag, so its a good idea to set them to something suitable as well...

I think you need to built quality back link as many as possible.Use fresh and unique content.

As with the above suggestions, you could also try resubmitting your sitemap to Google. https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -- Douglas Adams

http://www.chaoscontrol.org
    Have you minified your CSS/JS lately?

UPDATE:

wanted to come back & let everyone know:

1) Consolidated meta keywords list...only kept primarily important keywords (&...it's not even 25% of it's former size).

2) Rewrote meta description ala 'common sense'...to reflect what I basically do; & my location.

3) Re-verified site w/ Google Webmaster; & implemented Site Health suggestions.

4) Found out that Bing & Yahoo had merged search engines...so's I updated my listing & implemented a sitemap.

(hope this works in improving my ranking)

thanx,

mark4man

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    3. <meta name="keywords" content=" ... 700 or so characters then... new jersey recording studios, ...">I'm not sure whether search engines even use the keywords nowadays, but even if they do, they may parse only 300 or so characters.

Like I say, I'm no expert, but I hope that this helps...
    Almost all search engine stopped using keywords

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Again, I'm not sure if the search engines still use the <h1> tag,
    H1 are still that much important as much it was

One of the many reasons can be the sites you were getting backlinks from might be blown away by penguin updates and results in lowering the overall backlinks to you site and SERPs.

what exactly is the <h1> tag...???

Quote Originally Posted by maggyparker View Post
    Almost all search engine stopped using keywords

There went my entire SEO strategy.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -- Douglas Adams

http://www.chaoscontrol.org
    Have you minified your CSS/JS lately?

ok...

then...can I wrap my KEYWORDS in <h1> tags...???

(meaning they're not in the 'body', per se...& they're not visible.

will this work for SEO...???

thanx,

mark4man

UPDATE: never mind the above...I created a separate layer (#77) for my <h1> tag heading...& hid it (using Z-indexing) in back of a layer (#3) that contained a graphic of the exact same site description. this way, it's not visible...but will be picked up by the crawlers (will it, I hope...is this legit?)
    Last edited by mark4man; 05-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Hi,
    You should know about SEO (Search Engine optimization).
    May be your competitor done SEO of there website to promote it on the top for business.
    Now its your time to do SEO of your website.
    Make backlinks with your keywords. Do some article submission. There are many more ways to promote your website on the top. If your site on the top on any search engine its mean you have the business.

Quote Originally Posted by mark4man View Post
    (meaning they're not in the 'body', per se...& they're not visible.
    did you mean hidden text?

Thread Information