www.webdeveloper.com

View Poll Results: When you see prices on websites in Great British Pounds currency, what do you think?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no idea what 10 is in my local currency

0 0%
  • I know roughly what the equiv of 10 is to my local currency is

1 50.00%
  • Would put me off buying if it's not in my local currency

1 50.00%
  • I'm used to seeing American Dollar prices everywhere so Dollars do not stop me buying

0 0%
  • I don't buy anything online - ever!

0 0%

Thread: Americans & GBP?

Americans & GBP?

Hello,

Just a quick bit of research for those americans on here. It's to do with if i should publish prices on a website in GBP or USD.

Thanks

Do you have an idea who your customers are? If so, maybe you could solve a great portion of this by providing a "show me prices in currency X" option?

Dave

I don't care what currency I see. Living in the UK, I'm used to seeing things in USD.

As tracknut hinted at, just show them in the users currency. You can do this several ways. Either have a .com, .co.uk, .eu and set the currency on the domain ending, or have a script that recognises where the person is globally and displays the local currency price.

Some payment gateway solutions do this to save you the hassle of coding. Who's your gateway out of interest?
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Bit more research

Thanks, will be using PayPal.

Another point someone mentioned is that in order for customers to take a site seriously, USD often suggests the site is large since all the large players offer USD... if you see a site in say EURO's people tend to instantly think it's just a small company. Not sure if this applies to everyone, but i must admit, i do tend to think the same :/ strange.

On a side note, what would you guys consider petty cash? For example, people throw small change on the floor so they really don't value that! 10 i don't really think twice about spending... 30 however, i feel is my limit before i start to consider what i'm buying.

What is the limit with yourself?

(the reason for this is, i want to charge for a yearly subscription, but want to keep it in the comfortable price range)

Quote Originally Posted by VBAssassin View Post
    Thanks, will be using PayPal.
    Ahh that will make it easier for currency conversion. A tip though, make sure that the advertised price is changed in to your currency in the cart.

For example, if it isn;t changed in the cart and you have a payment in dollars, not only do you have the handling fee, but another fee to pay to convert the dollars in to your primary currency.

Another point someone mentioned is that in order for customers to take a site seriously, USD often suggests the site is large since all the large players offer USD... if you see a site in say EURO's people tend to instantly think it's just a small company. Not sure if this applies to everyone, but i must admit, i do tend to think the same :/ strange.
    I don't think that at all, in fact, I disagree strongly and think the exact opposite.

If someone cant display in my currency and I wasn't so used to buying parts from other countries, I wouldn't buy it.

As I said before, USD doesn't phase me, but that is because I buy from the states and other countries goods I can't get anywhere else.

But if I didn't, myself and others would be put off at having to work out how much the USD stated equates to.

Don't presume operating like an American will make the world take you seriously, it won't. All it will put forward is that you're an American company. Due to worldwide politics, the US is one of the LEAST professional nations. Judging by that standard, we should all display prices in Euro's or Yen because the Germans and Japanese have a strong, professional work ethic.

If you display prices in the users currency, they will be much more likely to purchase and I can't see how they would see you as small potatoes. Just because the ole saying in the US, "everything is big in texas/America" rings true in some regards, it doesn't mean that people will think you're a massive company.

Why are you so fixed on the notion you must look big? If you ask many, including entrepreneurs, they will tell you they often prefer to deal with smaller businesses instead of corporations and large companies are evil and couldn't care less about anyone. The company around the corner though, is king.
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

On a side note, what would you guys consider petty cash? For example, people throw small change on the floor so they really don't value that! £10 i don't really think twice about spending... £30 however, i feel is my limit before i start to consider what i'm buying.

(the reason for this is, i want to charge for a yearly subscription, but want to keep it in the comfortable price range)
    We need to know the product and the target market?

It could be anything from £1 - £300 per year. All depends on what subscription you're selling and who you are selling it to.

NB: Personally, selling a subscription on the internet, at least to myself or anyone who has used google is nigh on impossible unless you're offering something exceptional or such a low price it isn't even worth someone doing the searching themselves.
    Last edited by wh666-666; 05-30-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Thread Information