dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to block users with dynamic IP's?

Hybrid View

How to block users with dynamic IP's?

I've got a problematic user I need to block from my site. And while I know I could use .htaccess, I'd prefer to adopt a blocking strategy that would account for the possibility of the user's IP address changing.

I imagine something like: Assigning a cookie if the IP address in question appears, then banning the cookie. Perhaps I could give my site enough time to assign the cookie and then implement .htaccess. But I realize this approach could be quite crude.

So I'd welcome feedback on how to go about this.

Thanks!

If there's a way to use a cookie and .htaccess as the backup (in case the user's cookies are turned off), that seems like the preferred way to go. But I believe .htaccess would prevent assigning the cookie in the first place.

I want the functionality of the cookie in case the user take his laptop to another site.
    I want the functionality of .htaccess in case the user has turned off cookies.

Thanks again!

i case this is a registered user who has his username and password i would try to block that username's ability to post

Thanks, Padonak. (When I first read your post, I thought you were saying that my ability to post to this site should be blocked.)

However, my site doesn't require a user login.

Store a localStorage string on his machine. He's less likely to notice it than a cookie. You can use it to identify him and update his stored IP address.

Thanks! I'll look into that!

Thread Information