dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to learn asp.net basics

How to learn asp.net basics

Hi. I have to do some minor changes to a rather large website that is written in asp.net. The changes I have to make are primarily content stuff, like just changing some wording, a few html tags, replacing button images with text.

I don't have any experience with asp.net, but I know php quite well, as well as the client-side stuff and a few pure programming languages. All I really need to know is how to find the actual content from the various "layouts" and "views" (I'm just starting to scratch the surface here). For example, I see stuff like
    @HTML.BuildMenuLevel0()
    I'm guessing this is generating the content for a menu, based on its location within the html, but I'm not sure where to find the actual content. The site has a custom CMS, so it may be stored in the database. I did a grep for "BuildMenuLevel", but nothing else turns up (is this a built-in asp.net function?). I can't seem to find where this function is called from (and other similar ones).

Ok. Enough rambling. I'm gonna cut to the chase. I obviously gotta learn some asp.net, and was wondering if I could get some opinions on where to start. I've found w3schools a good "starting point" in the past when I was learning other languages (settle down, settle down, I know that w3schools is generally not highly regarded, but I enjoy the simplicity when I'm first learning something). My question is where to go from there? or if there is a better place to learn the basics, up to some more advanced stuff. The asp.net articles look good to, so maybe someone can recommend two or three to work through. Or some other resource entirely would be good too, as long as it's clear and concise.

Any advice on how to learn asp.net, or insight into my first two paragraphs of rambling, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who read this long and not-well-thought-out post, and especially to those who reply.

Edit: Oh ya, also a link to the asp.net "manual" would be great. Like the equivalent of this for php http://php.net/manual/en/index.php
    Last edited by Pacopag; 05-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Why don't you just type asp.net in your browser's address bar?
    Last edited by TheAliveWinner; 05-28-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Do NOT forget to enter! :)

To learn asp.net basics you can take the book "Beginning ASP.NET 3.5" .this books explain all the basics in the simplest form with the practical.the language of this book is much easier to other books.

if you really learn the asp.net then you see the asp.net tutorials and you tube videos.

Hi Thanks for your replies. I know that a quick google search turns up lots of probably helpful resources, but sometimes there's one book or tutorial that just stands out among the rest, or maybe there's some "standard" book or tutorial that ALL asp.net'ers absolutely MUST work through.

Thanks to all.

ASP.net is basically like HTML...its easy to learn basic....

Yeah. I've been working through some tutorials. asp.net is very nice. I like it a lot.

start by posting questions into proper sections of the forum. In your case section should be NET.
    Lot of things posted there could help you master NET techniques.

Thread Information