www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie--Exactly HOW do you start a web site?

Newbie--Exactly HOW do you start a web site?

Hi, all.

I am currently a student majoring in Computers (Web Development to be exact) and I want to create my own website from scratch, URL/HOST and everything.

My question to all is what exactly do I have to do to achieve all of this? I am at a complete lost and how and where do I start….what are the steps I have to take..such as

1) where do I get a template?
    2)do I get the url/host first?
    3)should I use a website, such as wordpress, as a first page?

My apologies if this all sounds silly, but I have created webpages through my school, and everything was done for me…(url/host) and i have no template (it was a simple HTML/static website lol)

HELP!! I am desperate and I want to start a portfolio.

"It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses." - George Eliot

Hi,
    actually everything depended on your need, what kind for website you want to upload on the net. If this is commercial or organization or social networking. First of all you should complete your site than after you should purchase domain. And if you want templates so there are many site on the net who providing free templates.
    All the best for your Portfolio.

If you want a easy and quite site use the CMS wordpress. For hosting I recommend that you stick to a cheap plan from Hostgator. Domains: Namecheap, a little more expensive than godaddy. But 100x better customer service and free who is protection.

Thanks. My webpage will probably be something that I can gradually build as time goes by, I have a few topics in mind. I don't want a blog looking page (I guess I should stay away from WP for now…)

I just want to create a regular page that shows what I can do and have the "basics": Template, links, contact me…and gradually get more dynamic

Suggestions

You really need to learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript basics. There are plenty of books and online resources.

When it comes down to it, you need a HOST and you need a URL.

You might want to start playing around with free hosting from WEBS.com. But do not get stuck in their template design. Instead, look for FILE MANAGER and upload your own html/css. Webs' free plan limits you to uploading files one at a time and you are a sub-domain of Webs -- such as http://auntnini.webs.com.

For myself and a few artists for whom I am "webmaster" (not needing server-side scripts or database), the FREE hosting plan offered by DotEasy.com is perfect. When you register your URL through DotEasy.com, you get 100MB storage and FREE hosting. They have a "buddy" referral plan that offers additional storage. You have a full-blown URL and site for which you can use FTP/editing programs such as Dreamweaer.

To start developing HTML and CSS based web sites, all you need is a good text editor, like Crimson Editor v3.6, and a selection of browsers, IE, Chrome and Firefox. You write the code with the editor, and view it with the browsers. Then a good graphic editor helps to make the site interesting I use Fireworks, but there are plenty of freebie graphic editors around.

Everything else you need is available on-line, like the W3S HTML and CSS tutorials, and the W3G and/or WDG validators (to validate your code). You only need a URL/host, and an FTP client, when you have something worth putting on the web. Learn to develop and organise your work off-line first.

Thread Information