dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHawking9 View Post
    I think till now windows 7 is best.. but can't say anything about windows 8 as its not out yet.
    win8 is exactly like win7, except they have tried to streamline it for surface/tablet touch use and make multi-desktops and try to hide the start menu, by making the desktop more apple/android "appy".

Quote Originally Posted by vincewicks View Post
    In my point of view, I'd rather choose windows Xp rather than to any other OS. I've tried using windows 7 but actually it is good but not as user friendly as Xp. However, each of us have different choice. It depends on our preferences.
    Indeed vince.

Win2k/xp was around for so long, many users got so used to it. MS have the wrong idea about OS development. You can make an OS prettier, but as with office 2003 vs office 2010, moving everything around just confuses people.

With support dwindling for XP, I have actually switched quite a few clients to YLMF linux, a distro which is an exact clone, to the point some professionals cant tell the difference of XP.

For many it's a no brainer, why on earth would they start learning all over again and take 10 clicks to do something on win7 than 5 clicks on XP, have to upgrade their hardware and pay a large sum for the privilege with no benefit offered to the average end user?

MS, as a company, really are a load of brain dead turnips. Actually, in the recent discovery that plants may indeed have feelings, I feel that's offensive to turnips.

Stick to 7, as I have the feeling that 8 will be like Vista and 7 will play the XP part

Well i have used Windows 8 and windows 7 both but only problem in windows 8 is because its design is tablet used, it doesn't look nice using desktop or laptop.

I have not tried it, I must tinker, to see, really))

Anyone's opinions change now that it's out?

I'll be sticking with 7.... Actually, Ubuntu's my primary OS, but I'm virtualizing Windows 7 for the sole purpose of Word. And using my USB OBD-II interface for my car.

I work in IT, and I have the Windows 8 Pro version as a VM. I'm appalled that they expect business users to live with the stupid Metro interface / start screen, the absolutely butt-ugly graphics (especially the login screen that looks like some cartoon drawn by a drunk kindergartner), and, the ultimate finishing touch, the ads within the apps it comes with!

When it comes to the appearance within the Desktop environment.... Well, OK. I can deal with different font rendering, the oversized buttons designed for touch screen users, etc. Maybe even the lack of a start menu, IF, somehow, they made everything that WAS in the start menu easier to access. The closest thing to the start button is to put the pointer in the lower right corner and right-click.... Then you get some options like Run, Control Panel, etc. If this action came up with what looked like a normal start menu, I could live with hiding the button. But that isn't so, and I have yet to find Windows Update without doing a search.

Hopefully Windows 9 (or whatever they'll call it) will offer some sort of choice when you install it whether you want to use Metro, whether or not you're using a touchscreen so the graphics can be adjusted accordingly, etc. Even the tiles on the start screen are enormous, and if I install programs/apps, I have to scroll to the right of the start screen to see them; only the first one is visible. I can't arrange them to stack vertically, either.

I think I'd appreciate Windows 8 more if I were a home user and had a tablet. And I do like how snappy it is. However, on a desktop (or particularly non-touch laptop), Windows 8 just does NOT feel intuitive. The most awkward thing I find is whatever they call the bar on the right side that, on a tablet, you would drag out to reveal (it includes Settings, which you go through to shut down, etc.). With a mouse, you have to push the mouse over there to make it come out, but it never works the first time, so you have to push the mouse to the right, run it up and down a few times, and it finally comes out. Also, there are some system tools that are in the Metro interface, and some you can get by right-clicking the start link in the desktop. It should all be in one place. They really need a touch and non-touch version, the non-touch version bringing back the start menu and having smaller tiles on the start screen, making the close/minimize/restore buttons smaller again, etc.

Seems like MS is in a trend of mediocrity every other release. XP was good, Vista not so good, 7 was my favorite, 8 is terrible (for non-tablets). Not bashing Windows 2000, however; I liked that. But there was Windows ME before that.... Windows 98 SE before that, and Windows 98 before that.... And so on.
    Last edited by EricG1793; 03-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.

win 8 is the updated version still mosst of the people likes win 7 instead of 8.me too uses win 7...and i think it is good to use...

Microsoft seemed to hit full stride with Windows 7, developing a fast and efficient operating system. Thankfully it seems Windows 8 continues to build on that pattern as we found it to be on par with and occasionally faster than Windows 7. The improvements that have been made to startup and shutdown times are self-evident, and no doubt a major focus on the new OSí development. This will particularly benefit laptop and tablet users.

I also enjoy 8's fastness. But I still can't get over how ugly it is!

My recent fit of being appalled over the new theme is that Windows Server 2012 looks exactly like Windows 8: The goofy fonts, hideous start screen (though black and white), the oversized buttons, etc. Perhaps I should write to Microsoft telling them how gracious it is of them to at last be able to run a server on my nonexistent tablet. Only reason (so far) that the network admin at work has upgraded to Server 2012 is to take advantage of its enhanced Active Directory features.
    Last edited by EricG1793; 04-04-2013 at 10:22 PM.

As for me Win7 version is better than Win8. I mean is better in usage and in supporting. Please do not throw chairs at me It's just my own opinion.

According to me windows 7 is good one i never facing any problem with this window and i also get full support from the windows tech support team at any tme.

i fell in love with win7 as soon as i first got it. as for win8.. it was quite difficult to manage at first. also, my sister bought a lenovo with win8 a month ago and it has several problems by now- they were even warned that this is not the best one for a laptop and is still in a kind of beta-stage.
    EricG1793, it's impossible not to agree- windows 8 does have an awful design.

I think Window 7 is good for using.

I think both are good. Its depend upon you, because you know what kind of work you want to do.
    Both window mostly are same. There is little bit difference in window 8.

Quote Originally Posted by bellaswan View Post
    I think both are good. Its depend upon you, because you know what kind of work you want to do.
    Both window mostly are same. There is little bit difference in window 8.
    I'm not sure that are the same. Their performance as well as hardware requirements are different.

Thumbs up Windows 8 is the best for Working

Because, I ike five feture on windows 8

1. Speedy Boot Time
    2. Innovative & Dynamic Desktop
    3. Improved Search Function
    4. Windows To Go
    5. Windows Live Syncing

And I use this windows in new computer.

Thread Information