www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to setup a PC will multiple versions of multiple browsers

Hybrid View

How to setup a PC will multiple versions of multiple browsers

We just hired a web developer, but he requested that we get him a PC that has the last couple versions of each of the major browsers out there, so he can test stuff he develops internally.
    Only problem is that I have no idea how to do that. Has anyone done that before and can tell me how to go about doing it?

I'd recommend asking him what he's used in the past. This way he's familiar with the method you select.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

That's the minor problem, this is his first job, so he's not really sure what he should be using even. and this is our first developer ever, so we're not sure either. Couldn't be a more perfect situation of everybody knowing very little haha.

Gotcha

Typically, I test on the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. I use this tool to get older versions of IE:

http://utilu.com/IECollection/

My personal preference is that I don't worry about older versions of anything except IE because they seem to work fine 99% of the time. If you must test on multiple versions of multiple browsers, this is a good resource:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011...testing-tools/
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Thanks. Looks like that IE Collection would handle IE. Is there a free one you'd recommend from that other link to test like the last few versions of FF, Chrome, Safari too? I hear ya on the point about testing the older versions of those ones, but if this kid wants to be thorough in testing, i'd rather not break his spirits since testing is smiled upon here.

Agreed. But time is money, and you can never test everything ... don't forget that

You'll want to browse through that 2nd link I sent to see what type of tools are out there for multiple browser versions.

You may also want to check into virtual machines that run certain operating systems and browser versions. For example, you could have a set up like this:

Virtual Machine 1
    - Chrome 10
    - Firefox 5
    - Safari 4
    - IE9

Virtual Machine 2
    - Chrome 8
    - Firefox 3.6
    - Safari 3
    - IE8

That is true. I'll have to read more about each option on that 2nd link, was just wondering if you had used any to test the other browsers. and really with the way those other ones all auto update in the background now, testing older versions of those will be less and less time-worthy. VM's are a good idea too.

I have been using spoon.net/browsers to do my testing as of lately. Its much faster than running vms and the actual applications run rather than being simulates. I'd say it's the next best thing to having dedicated machines or buying a beefy PC to run vms...

You can just setup different browser its not a problem.. i did it to my pc is use Google chrome.. and Mozilla firefox.

Stephen,

He's looking to install different versions of the SAME browser.

Ex: Chrome 8, 9, and 10.

You can actually use partitions of OS so you could install each version of the browser.
    great how to printing videos

Quote Originally Posted by printbucket View Post
    You can actually use partitions of OS so you could install each version of the browser.
    This would be crazy for troubleshooting. You'd have to reboot each time to see changes?!

try the windows server 2000 and install them on different users like in windows XP

Thread Information