www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: onClick functions reloads page instead of running the code inside its own brackets

onClick functions reloads page instead of running the code inside its own brackets

I tried posting a script earlier, but it was too big to be accepted on this forum. Instead I'll ask a question, and see if I get any answers that I can use to find the problem myself.

I know its always best to post code, but I couldn't get it small enough without risking cutting out the parts that people need to see to find the problem.

I have 2 js scripts, that are part of a larger ajax script, that run on page load - I'll call them A and B. They run fine.

I have 2 scripts that I wrote inside function brackets. They run onClick - I'll call them C and D

A and B run on page load. This places a button inside an html form. That button runs C just fine onClick.

Script C places a button that is supposed to run D onClick.

Script D is written inside function brackets, and is supposed to fire onClick.

The problem is firebug (tab XHR) shows that D does not post anything to the php script it points too. I know that php script works.

Clicking on the button that is supposed to fire script D causes the onload functions, A and B to fire again. D ignores the code written inside its own brackets.

D reloads the page instead.

C does post, and works fine. It looks to me that C is written the same way as D.

I wrote in a "return false" after each button. I've also set the open method of the XMLHttpRequest Object to both true and false. Problem still there.

I wrote I object per onload script, so each script can do its own thing.

To my eye, it looks like I've written the functions C (works onClick) and D (doesn't work because it runs the 2 onload functions onClick, instead of what is written inside its own brackets) the same way.

I can't spot any syntax errors.

Does anyone know of anything that would cause this? I know browsers do their own thing when syntax errors confuse them too much.

Any suggestions of how to use firebug to further diagnose?

Thanks

Resolved by inserting a missing </script> tag

Resolved by inserting a missing closing </script> tag

Thread Information