dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: No exp, good choice?

No exp, good choice?

Hey what's up everyone? New to the forum and web dev in general just thought I'd get a couple opinions on my decision to jump into web dev. Here's the gist of it:

I have no prior exp in web dev (well like a month of reading and tinkering) and I've decided to take an online course through a community college (starting sept) to learn and hopefully find myself a career in it (cause my current job sucks hard). Of the courses offered this one was the only one that really interested me. I'm not a handy man, nor am I a scholar, I'm sort of lost in the middle somewhere looking for a career.

What I've learned so far seems like a lot of fun (and at times frustrating). But I was just hoping that maybe you guys could give me a few opinions as to if this is a good idea or not (as I haven't actually signed anything yet). I'm 25 and I start having second thoughts when I read about how everyone has been doing this since they were 12 or whatever lol. But on the other hand I'm awesome and kick serious ass (well not at web dev just yet, but one day!!). Thanks guys,
    Derek

This is my first post. I am in your shoes. I wish someone had a ventrilo posted so I could talk to developers. I need some guidance.

What languages have you been working with? I am golden with HTML/CSS; however, I am struggling HARD with PHP/MYSQL. I know the codes, I just don't understand what use they are... I set variables, add and subtract but how do I actually utilize the code...

Use this site W3Schools.com It's REALLY good basic information. I used it and Lynda.com (amazing!). There is no need for books etc... It is all free online.

It will be a while before you get the skills to make money with web dev but take the course and see how you like it. Maybe you become a pro, maybe not, but the journey is the reward.

But don't expect to quit your day job for a couple of years.

Cool thanks dude

Good luck to you with web dev though its hard there's a lot of video tutorials out there for a much more easier learning process compared to books and of course a hands on learning as well.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JML1179 View Post

What languages have you been working with? I am golden with HTML/CSS; however, I am struggling HARD with PHP/MYSQL. I know the codes, I just don't understand what use they are... I set variables, add and subtract but how do I actually utilize the code...

I have been in the business for the past 3 years, I also do not do well with php and other programing languages. However, I will say a lot of companies want someone who can do those languages. I am luck that I have a company that allows me to learn stuff as I go. I am cool with HTML/CSS and graphics. I have learned wordpress and I am learning more on that CMS by the day. However, I have expanded my field from just HTML/CSS to include, Google Analytics, SEO and various other things that involve the web. I have been able to get by without the other programing languages, which makes me more of a designer who does some coding rather than a developer. Just be aware most employers want developers not designers (personal experience I maybe wrong). I am good though at finding IT solutions for my company which adds value as well. I do love the web design field though!

Nah I'm a total noob, I'm still working on html/css but I think I've got a decent handle on it so far. I did go ahead and signed up for the course though! I don't know much at all yet but that's why you take the class right? Nothing easy in life is worth doing. It may be a struggle and I may not even like it in the end but at least ill know I gave it my best shot. Plus with an awesome community like this one behind me to help with any big troubles I have, I think I'll do just fine! And thanks for all the helpful posts everyone!

I'm right there with you. Just decided to spend the next several months exclusively studying web development. It is quite a commitment, though I have also already mastered HTML and CSS, and have successfully built several websites, including customized Wordpress sites. I know some basic PHP, but am hoping to learn a lot more (concentrating on javascript now). I would also recommend w3schools.com for HTML/CSS and other basic learning. However, I am looking for other sources for more advanced development.

The problem I have now, though, is there are too many learning resources out there. Can anyone recommend a really good source for learning javascript? Are there any particularly good (and free) sites/tutorials/youtube channels?

What is the best way to practice? Where can one go to get practice ideas for javascript, or other coding languages?

Is there an advised order of progression to learning coding languages?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

Thread Information