www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: iframe Vertical Scroll Bars

iframe Vertical Scroll Bars

Hi All,

I know you can switch iframe scrollbars on and off. I also know that you can have the browser switch them on and off as required. However, it appears they have to be switched on and off together.

This can create a confusing user interface. For example, the page in the iframe may be set to a width that fits nicely within the iframe's width, either with tables (pttooey... no comments neccessary) or with css. The browser detects a vertical overflow and enables the scroll bars. All ok so far, except that the horizontal scroll bar has nothing to do. Maybe it gets bored sitting there, or jealous of the vertical scroll bar, because it insists on allowing the user to scroll horizontally for 5 or 10 pixels. I tried reducing the width of the content, but that doesn't help.

Is there a way to enable the vertical scroll bar, and disable the horizontal, (or perhaps send it off to do another job like negotiating middle east peace or something else that will get it off my window and keep it happy)?

Thanks
    CTB
    Last edited by chestertb; 01-24-2004 at 07:05 PM.

i know that what you are asking can be done with non-inlines. try setting vscroll=true and hscroll=false. It is something like that, it's been a while since I have done anything with frames....

for ie you can use proprietary code
    <iframe style="overflow-x:hidden; overflow-y:hidden;"
    but it will not work in other browsers. The best solution is make the page inside the iframe fluid, use a % for width so that it will compress its self and never need to scroll. If the content is smaller then the container you have no scroll bars.

Thanks Guys,

The size thing probably isn't a solution, because the content will be generated dynamically, so I guess the users will just have to put up the the horizontal bar trying to help.

Ah well. Never mind.

Thanks

CTB

How is dynamic content a problem? What are you putting there. You should still control the size of dynamic content or atleast control how it wraps. I have put tables that feed from data bases inside iframes before without a horizontal problem http://www.clanknights.vze.com has them all over the place, but soon I will not be using an iframe, but rather just have the layout included on every page and keep the login form and other page data in a code behind.

Thread Information