dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How Hard did you find learning Javascript??

How Hard did you find learning Javascript??

i am really struggling. does it get easier? i can follow tutorials well. i understand what is being explained, but when its time to get practical it becomes a nightmare. i honestly do not believe these easy tutorials give enough information.

my main nightmare is Functions, and the passing of arguments inside them. i just cant get my head around this. i understand the concept but i cant put it into practise when i want to test my progress by myself.

did you guys find Javascript this hard when you were learning it? any advise?

I started learning JavaScript by working with bare code. I barely had any experience with HTML, and I had no other programming experience whatsoever. The thing that really helped me was taking other already completed JavaScript files, tested them out, modified and checked the changes. Really just constant modifying of code, testing it out and seeing if it did what I wanted it to. The main benefit of working this way is you're constantly learning by seeing how different people get things done. You'll end up learning some bad habits at first but those will eventually get replaced with good habits, especially if you do your own research on it at the same time. It took me almost a month before I was able to create my own JavaScript application but it was a pong game (written very poorly I might add).. The more you learn with JS the more you'll be able to do with it and the easier everything will become.. Hope that helps.

You will find a tutorial and many examples on this page Javascript Tutorial W3Cschools...

thanks for the input guys. really appreciate it

I find it hard too at time. I'm just starting to learn javascript as well but I find it is easiest for me to learn how to apply what I have learned by making something fun and that I am interested instead of just doing what the tutorials say. Follow the tutorial but make the end product your own, not the generic end result that you would normally get. If it doesn't work out when your done, even better you get to learn about what you did wrong and practice until you fix it and then you feel even more accomplished.

just keep struggling; nothing easy is worth doing. one day it will suddenly make sense.

thanks guys. this is very encouraging. i won't feel so bad when my progress seems slow anymore.

Thread Information