dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Covering Geosh*tty's ads with CSS

Post Covering Geosh*tty's ads with CSS

Even though Geocities is a good web server in general, it has some very ugly ads. You can, however cover them by putting something where they are using CSS and giving it a high z-index. Found that out by accident. No example tho, sorry.

There are a few ways to get rid of Geocities advert banner that I know of. If I were to post them though, people might use them, and that wouldn't be very honest would it?

They provide you with free webspace and they are a pretty decent host, by covering up their adverts you are stopping them from making money. How do you think they afford to run?
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

They can afford to run by providing the Yahoo! Search engine, yes you shouldn't really break the terms of service.

Though using z-index doesn't, and neither does it affect their adverts since CSS can be disabled by the user but the advert still gets served - morally it's probably wrong but ethically it's just using creative CSS.

im gonna have to agree with robbie.... only because he... kind of... agreed with me anyways, i, nor anyone i no, clicks on ads. theyre ignored completely. to be used, there must be a legitimate link/ affiliation, etc.

i've referred geocities to about... 8 people i can think off the top of my head anyways so my debt is due especially since i barely use any of the webspace given... maybe about 15%, rounding up. (less than two mb out of the 15mb given)

as for making money? theyll make money when i get a domain, which ill do when my site is on solid ground and has a hefty bit of content.

Maybe you should consider paying for your hosting if you don't want ads...

Or download and install Apache. *Wink Wink*

i was thinking about something else on that other thread twasnt apache... how do you install apache?

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    Or download and install Apache. *Wink Wink*
    Not recommended... cause he probably does not have the bandwidth, nor would I want to open my computer to all the attacks and security risks associated with putting it on the open internet...

thats right i dont... still tempted...

Thread Information