I'm trying to incorporate one HTML page, which displays perfectly well by itself, in another using an iframe. The included file consists of a large table created by saving from Excel as HTML. When I try to include the file in an iframe, although the iframe is the right total width (I set it to 100%), it displays the individual columns the wrong widths, some wider than I set them, others narrower, resulting in some of the text overlapping other text. The result is unusable. Also it displays the iframe only a few lines high, nowhere near high enough for the full table, so the bottom of the table is lost (I don't want to use scrolling if I can help it). I set the height to 100% too.
How do I stop it doing this? I want the included page to display exactly like it does when displayed by itself.
Sorry, for some reason the forum software added to my links so they don't work, and I can't find a way of editing previous messages. The sentence should have read:
You can see these pages as html at http:/www.signuptosing.org/rehearsals_body.html and http:/www.signuptosing.org/rehearsals.php
If I try to make these into links, it strangely adds www.webdeveloper.com/ at the beginning, and I can't find out how to stop it doing so.
The only size attributes seem to be pixels, and %. I've tried setting it to 100%, which I hoped/expected would set it to 100% of the size of the document in the iframe, but it doesn't. It sets it to this small height. And I really don't want to use pixels, because it means I've got to work out how high it is in pixels, and that surely depends on all sorts of things which are outside my control, like what text size the user has selected. Besides which it gives me another job to do, and to remember to do, and not to make a mistake with, every time the included document changes.
Is there really not an HTML or programmatic (e.g. php) way of automatically setting the iframe to the size of the inner document?
>also, use a better browser,
I (along with 99.9% of all web developers) can't control what browser my users choose to use. It has to work with all normal/common browsers.
Thanks - Rowan
Last edited by rowan.bradley; 07-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.
The HTML output from most of Microsoft Office products is designed to work well only in Internet Explorer - and generally older versions, at that. So it's likely to remain incredibly difficult to get such a file to display nicely for all browsers - especially in an <iframe>.
Since you have PHP at your disposal, I'd suggest that you save the original Excel files as a .csv file, and create a PHP script to generate the <table> without the overhead of the Microsoft-specific mark-up. It would make it easy to eliminate the need for an <iframe> altogether, too.