dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Such a noob question... but I still need an answer- PSD to HTML, or PSD to PHP?

Such a noob question... but I still need an answer- PSD to HTML, or PSD to PHP?

Hello,
    First post...

Can someone explain to me, or point me in the right direction so I can figure it out on my own, what the best development route is when designing a PHP website?

I am designing pages in photoshop, and I know I want to run a PHP/MySQL combination site. i see plenty of coding services that will take a PSD file and convert it to HTML, and then someone told me just to have it converted to PHP directly, as this would make it easier for a PHP developer to implement the code for functionality.

Do I have terms and concepts mixed up? Any suggestions or thoughts would be very appreciated. Basically, I am trying to do my best to learn what I can about development code so I can be a better development designer, if that makes sense. thanks for any thoughts or input.

How can Photoshsop output be converted to PHP??? That sounds like BS to me!

Anyway, my advice to you is: do not use Photoshop. Learn to create content with HTML, and to do layout with CSS. Why? Because if you want to optimize your site for mobile devices as well as PC's you need to understand how floating divs respond to different screen widths. That understanding comes with practical experience. Then you can add PHP code to link to a database etc...

Apply what poster jedaisoul said. Designing pages in some Adobe platform is not the way to go unless you are probably going Flash, which means few people will be interested in your content (and you will have to tell them it is a flash-dependent site).

In general, you want to learn HTML markup for document structure, and CSS for document style.

Javascript will provide ability to manipulate documents dynamically after they have been delivered by the server.

PHP provides the ability to manipulate documents dynamically from the server side: for instance, you have a document template, and based on a user request (or response to a form), you can present a document in which you fill in the parts to a template customized for the user. PHP can also do a great deal more, and in fact, a very usual use of PHP is to allow you to interact with a database, as the need arises.

But only learn and use these tools when you are certain you need them. Figure out clearly what you want to do, and most likely you will be told what the right tool is for the job you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    How can Photoshsop output be converted to PHP??? That sounds like BS to me!
    Somebody takes a PSD file and used it as a visual template. They then code a web page using HTML, CSS, and needed images to duplicate the site. They then go and add in all of the server side logic. In other words, somebody goes and builds your website for you. They just get a template for that it's suppose to look like.

Okay, you are saying that some web developer is basically looking at a raster graphics image file, either on a screen or printed on paper, and just working out the code from scratch....that' is effectively a slightly-better-than-on-a-restaurant-napkin customer sketch of what the customer wants.

The other poster left the impression that a PSD file could somehow be converted/transformed into PHP or HTML+CSS and maybe even Javascript.

I know the people at Adobe have a considerable amount of talent.

But a PSD->PHP|HTML+CSS+JS converter seems wildly fantastic...Star Trek-type stuff.

40 Options for Converting PSD to HTML: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/desig...html-services/
    Photoshop-To-FTML: Convert PSD Files To Flash Without Any Coding: http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/photosh...-flash-coding/
    =======================================
    PHP:

Run PHP on your own computer: The easiest way to do this is to install a complete package like XAMPP. This contains the Apache Web server, along with PHP and the MySQL database engine, in one easy-to-install package. XAMPP is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. (A popular alternative on Windows is WampServer.)

Run your PHP scripts on your Web host: If you already have a Web hosting account that supports PHP then you can upload your PHP scripts via FTP and run them on the Web server. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to install anything; the disadvantage is that it's slower to write and test your scripts.

Copy and paste the script code listed above into a new document in your text editor, then save the file as hello.php in the document root folder — that is, the top level of your website — on your hard drive. If you're not sure where your document root folder is then consult your Web server manual. Common locations include:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XAMPP on Windows: C:/xampp/htdocs/ (If you install it anywhere else, it WON'T WORK. Save your project in, say C:/xampp/htdocs/mycode/ , where you install "index.php"; Click on xampp-control icon, click "start apache", click "start mysql". Open browser and call php script: http://localhost/mycode/ in the address bar. "index.php" file will be parsed and shown in browser.)

XAMPP on Linux: /opt/lampp/htdocs/
    XAMPP on Mac OS X: /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/

If you want to run the script on your Web hosting account rather than your own computer then you'll need to upload the script using FTP instead.

Free online PHP tester: http://forumferney.free.fr/stester.html

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    40 Options for Converting PSD to HTML: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/desig...html-services/
    Photoshop-To-FTML: Convert PSD Files To Flash Without Any Coding: http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/photosh...-flash-coding/
    1. Exactly what I meant.

2. Only if you want incredibly piss poor code/imagery use.

Converting a PSD file to a PHP file with needed CSS and images would be so complicated due to business logic that it's simply easier to have someone code it for you. Converting database data to an Excel spreadsheet is easy since they use a similar format. A PSD and PHP file share nothing in common at all.

Quote Originally Posted by spufi View Post
    1. Exactly what I meant.

2. Only if you want incredibly piss poor code/imagery use.

Converting a PSD file to a PHP file with needed CSS and images would be so complicated due to business logic that it's simply easier to have someone code it for you. Converting database data to an Excel spreadsheet is easy since they use a similar format. A PSD and PHP file share nothing in common at all.
    Sorry, but there are other alternatives and they give excellent results at a higher price. These answered the OP's question without any bias.

Thank you to everyone who gave replies.

My plan is to get a pixel-perfect layered PSD file and use a PSD to HTML coding service to get the pages built so they work as a functioning (clickable) model, and then my coding developer will come in and code the PHP he needs to do to give the site its functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Krensky View Post
    My plan is to get a pixel-perfect layered PSD file and use a PSD to HTML coding service to get the pages built so they work as a functioning (clickable) model, and then my coding developer will come in and code the PHP he needs to do to give the site its functionality.
    This sounds like you are envisaging a traditional fixed-width design? If so, have you considered users with low resolution screens (e.g. 320x480 to 1024x768)? They already account for 20% of web browsing (though mostly at the upper end of that range) and are predicted to sky rocket with the proliferation of smartphones and tablet devices.

Thread Information