dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: XML integration into Wordpress

XML integration into Wordpress

Morning,

Basically, I have some XML code that will pull job vacancies from a large recruitment companies website and display on ours, please note this is all legit and both parties have an agreement in place for this.

I'm not familiar with XML at all unfortunately! Our website is powered by Wordpress so I'm not sure if I need some sort of plugin or whether I need to code it directly into the programming, I don't even know how to 'parse' the XML etc...

I'd like to show the code that I need to integrate if needed but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it publicly, maybe somebody could pop me an e-mail who would be willing to help out and I can show them?...

I'm not some kid saying 'plz email wiv help, fanks' and so on, once my problem is resolved I'll be sure to post it in a response to this thread to help people in the future.

I'm sure that running any XML code is the same no matter what the feed is etc (maybe I'm wrong!?) so hopefully somebody can help me out on this one!

Any help with this is much appreciated, please do treat me as a complete beginner with XML, however, I am familiar with HTML, CSS and some PHP. I am actually a web designer but just getting into the XML side of things!

I look forward to a response from you guys! Hopefully you can help me resolve this!

How do you plan to integrate the XML? via Javascript or PHP? You can extract the data from the other site, however it will be useless to you without an XSLT to parse the XML into something that can be viewed in a webpage.

I'm not sure if Javascript will allow you to read an XML file off an external source, so you may need to get it via PHP.

Quote Originally Posted by James Unsworth View Post
    I'm sure that running any XML code is the same no matter what the feed is etc (maybe I'm wrong!?) so hopefully somebody can help me out on this one!
    Unfortunately you are wrong. Treat an XML file like a text file. You either have a second file, a schema, that tells you the format of the file, or you just custom-write a routine to read it. Same with XML.
    Any help with this is much appreciated, please do treat me as a complete beginner with XML, however, I am familiar with HTML, CSS and some PHP. I am actually a web designer but just getting into the XML side of things!
    Since you know PHP, the simplest way might be to open the file directly or curl() the XML file over, then parse through it with SimpleXML.

Dave

How do you plan to integrate the XML? via Javascript or PHP? You can extract the data from the other site, however it will be useless to you without an XSLT to parse the XML into something that can be viewed in a webpage.

I'm not sure if Javascript will allow you to read an XML file off an external source, so you may need to get it via PHP.

Thread Information