dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need general advice on website technology design

Hybrid View

Need general advice on website technology design

I'm planning to build a community website (with multiple user accounts) - something a bit like facebook+youtube. I'm trying to plan the whole "back-end" properly but don't have enough experience yet so need help from professionals.

Most of all, I cannot decide which language to use to program the client and the server side. I'm a C# programmer but for the website, I'm trying to find a free technology (ie. Linux-based). I want to use as few languages as possible - preferably just one (but that's probably impossible in web development) - I really hate that to build even the simpliest website you need to use HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, SQL and f**k knows what else. I really hate such mess. Ideally, I want the language to generate the necessary HTML/CSS by itself - ie. when I command it to create a centered TextBox, I want it to automatically create a DIV with a paragraph inside and set its margins and paddings in the parent container accordingly.

I also want to use the same one language for client and server side coding.

I've recently started to look at Ruby on Rails (but it doesn't seem to be capable of doing what I need - it's only server-side) and Server Side JavaScript.

Thanks in advance for constructive advice!

I've found Google Web Toolkit. Seems like I might like it. Just one language to code in (Java) and the rest is generated automatically.

But the thing that worries me is the server side code. It's not translated into JavaScript or PHP - it remains as Java and Java is known for its low performance. I don't want the website to process info for too long.

Anyone had experience with this?

A very ambitious goal!
    But to tell you the truth, from your background
    ...don't have enough experience yet..
    I suggest you build your site using an existing Content Management System. It could take you many, many, months to build even a simple CMS.
    There are many to choose from, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Perch, etc.
    I also want to use the same one language for client and server side coding.
    Even a simple CMS like WordPress, which is PHP based, uses HTML as well as CSS. I think you'll will find that because you want server side interaction, you'll need multiple lanquages.
    If you still want to develop your own CMS... have at it! but you don't need to reinvent the wheel. There are many platforms already available that can provide the type of site you want.
    Best of luck!
    Eye for Video

Do you like Ruby?
    There is a question of choice which bothers me since I started learning PHP.

I saw a lots of examples of Ruby made me belief that there's more logic in it.

Deployment is more difficult than PHP and there's not a lot of support like there's for PHP but it's the question.

Another problem is what I've read that Ruby is written in C, so it's slow because it has first to compile (interpretation) to C and C compiles to Object.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils28 View Post
    Do you like Ruby?
    Haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils28 View Post
    Another problem is what I've read that Ruby is written in C, so it's slow because it has first to compile (interpretation) to C and C compiles to Object.
    What is PHP written in? Isn't it C also? I think C is still faster than eg. Java.

I guess, I will have to use PHP+AJAX (and MySQL) after all. So now the question is are there any AJAX libraries/frameworks which have a lot of widgets (working correctly) so that I don't need to mess with HTML/CSS to position and decorate my GUI elements?

Thread Information