www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Download File from Server/Upload to it

Download File from Server/Upload to it

Hello,

I am fairly new to Javascript.

I'd like to create a connection speed test such that the script initiates a download of a file from the server to the client, and then the client uploads the file back to server.

I am not certain how to do this using Javascript. Can I have some help on this, please?

Thanks!

I suppose you could use HTML5 File API for that purpose, that's best IMHO
    Javascript, jQuery / Prototype & PHP expert ready to complete your work on Freelancer.co.uk - Hire Me at https://www.freelancer.co.uk/users/1...&action=hireme

I'm fairly new to javascript myself so this could be a stupid remark, but isn't javascript Client-side scripting? Aren't there better languages for handling these sort of this? Like php or perl?

And how other way would you like to display client speed if not using client-side scripting? Most of - if not all - speed tests use client-side flash scripts.
    Javascript, jQuery / Prototype & PHP expert ready to complete your work on Freelancer.co.uk - Hire Me at https://www.freelancer.co.uk/users/1...&action=hireme

Quote Originally Posted by maurycy View Post
    And how other way would you like to display client speed if not using client-side scripting? Most of - if not all - speed tests use client-side flash scripts.
    I don't know, was just thinking out loud. Like I said I'm pretty new to the whole thing.

I was thinking something in the lines of: letting, for example, php handle the down- and upload. Use Javascript/css for the display of the data. Wouldn't this keep server scripting and client scripting seperated? Which could be more practical depending of the size, duration, ... of the project.
    Last edited by tapi0n; 07-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Tapi0n it's good to think out loud

If you let PHP handle download/upload then you will not be able to determine user connection speed because PHp will be executed on server and it'll be server speed not user if that makes sense to you

Quote Originally Posted by maurycy View Post
    Tapi0n it's good to think out loud

If you let PHP handle download/upload then you will not be able to determine user connection speed because PHp will be executed on server and it'll be server speed not user if that makes sense to you
    Ye thought about that a couple of minutes after posting. Ah well, you new acquire new insight every day, today is no exception

Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any good tutorials on this approach?

Thread Information