www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highlight Current Page Using PHP

Ok that one works! Here is the link to the site I'm building where I'm trying to incorporate this code. www.andyrichin.com/work_all.php

As you can see in the nav up top right corner is the main nav I'm working with. How would you manipulate your code so that the Work link stays lit even when you go to say Creative Juice, or any of them for that matter? Instead of echo <li> which seems to place it up in the nav.

Does is have anything to do with class="active" vs class="current"? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by andy.richin View Post
    Ok that one works! Here is the link to the site I'm building where I'm trying to incorporate this code. www.andyrichin.com/work_all.php

As you can see in the nav up top right corner is the main nav I'm working with. How would you manipulate your code so that the Work link stays lit even when you go to say Creative Juice, or any of them for that matter? Instead of echo <li> which seems to place it up in the nav.

Does is have anything to do with class="active" vs class="current"? Thanks for the help!
    You could add an OR into the condition checked. Something like:
    PHP Code:
    (strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $page) > || strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], "Work" ) > 0

So would that replaces the current echo strpos($_SERVER..... line? Is there any way to accomplish this same thing without embedding it in the unordered list and just calling it in the list? If that makes sense.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you wanting a different HTML output?

I just want to have 1 header file.. 3 nav links (Home, Work and About), and have the Work link stay hilighted (.current) when you visit the subpages in Work such as Print, Web, Packaging. Is this possible? This is crazy difficult for some reason. I do appreciate all of the help, and maybe I am just missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by andy.richin View Post
    I just want to have 1 header file.. 3 nav links (Home, Work and About), and have the Work link stay hilighted (.current) when you visit the subpages in Work such as Print, Web, Packaging. Is this possible? This is crazy difficult for some reason. I do appreciate all of the help, and maybe I am just missing something.
    Sounds a little more complicated. Might need a nested array that way.

PHP Code:
    $aboutPages = Array('Home''Work'=>Array('Print','Web','Packaging'),'About'); 
    Then you'll need to check if the "current" menu is an Array in which case you'll run a second loop.
    PHP Code:
       echo "<li>"
       echo 
    "<a href=\''$page\""
       echo (
    strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $page) > 0) ? " class=\"current\""''
       echo 
    ">$page</a>";
       if(
    is_array($page)){
          echo 
    "<ul>";
          foreach(
    $page as $subPage){
             echo 
    "<li>"
             echo 
    "<a href=\''$page\""
             echo (
    strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $subPage) > 0) ? " class=\"current\""''
             echo 
    ">$subPage</a>"
             echo 
    "</li>"
          }
          echo 
    "</ul>";
       }
       echo 
    "</li>"
    Untested of course...might need adjustment.

You would probably also need to adjust your css so any "parent" pages would also highlight if any children were highlighted.

So if I used the above PHP code you provided, would there be any PHP in the each list item.. something like this?

HTML Code:
    <li><a <?php if (strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], 'index.php')) echo 'class="active"';?> href="index.php">HOME</a></li>
    And then change the 'index.php'?

Sounds like you might need to restructure the data again if your displayed label isn't the same as the URL for the href.

Something like:
    PHP Code:
    $aboutPages = Array(Array('label'=>'Home''href'=>'index.php'),
                                 Array(
    'label=>'Work', 'href'=>'work.php', 'subMenus'=>Array(Array('label'=>'Print','href'=>'print.php'),Array('label'=>'Web','href'=>'web.php'),Array('label'=>'Packaging','href'=>'packaging.php')),
                                Array('
    label'=>'About','href'=>'about.php')); 
    Then instead of is_array, you'll need to check if that 'subMenus' index exists.

PHP Code:
       if(isset($page['subMenus'])){ 
          echo 
    "<ul>"
          foreach(
    $page['subMenus'] as $subPage){ 
    And your echos would change to reference by name the attribute you are wanting
    PHP Code:
       echo "<a href=\''".$page['href']."\""
       echo (
    strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], $page['href']) > 0) ? " class=\"current\""''
       echo 
    ">".$page['label']."</a>"
    All code just proof of concept and untested of course. May need adjustment to run.
    Last edited by criterion9; 07-24-2012 at 11:32 AM.

resolved

Thanks for the help man! I came across a really simply tutorial that worked and made sense to me.

http://buildinternet.com/2009/12/usi...mplate-faster/

Really easy. Pretty much just uses page titles. Thanks again!

Thread Information