www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating ebay-like site for small college students

Creating ebay-like site for small college students

Let me start off with some background:
    My college is located in the middle of nowhere, its pretty small about 2-3 thousand students and like most colleges the students are trying to be as frugal as possible.

Due to the location, buying stuff online or from the city is both expensive and frustrating. So often times students try to buy stuff from each other. We tried using facebook groups to facilitate this activity but due to its nature it is simply too unorganized to be truly effective.

So me and my friends are thinking about creating some ebay-like site just for our fellow students. We asked some experienced web developers but their price range is just way out of our league. Therefore we decided to see if we can build one ourselves.

Some objectives we are shooting for :
    - Enable users to share photos of stuff they want to sell. Bidding system needs not be present. Probably better if users simply are able to leave msg / comment how much they're offering. The usual facilities : subscription, notification, etc

- If possible use some kind of a web framework.

- Use Facebook login if feasible to make it more appealing to existing Facebook group user. Outsourcing security to Facebook is also nice. But if possible we would like to be able to limit login / registration to emails using our school domainname.

- Attractive design. Have a graphic design major / graduate that will help out. Probably will have to use advanced html5 + css3 technique to implement her design. Legacy support is minimal, most computers here use modern browsers.

- Friendly language like Python or Ruby would be preferred so that the site can be handed down to other students when we leave.

I understand this is a huge undertaking. As long as we can start with something basic that has a good enough design to be extended over the years I will be happy.

Could you guys please provide some pointers on where to start ?

Food for thought. Forum software like you're posting on can work well for buy/sell sites.

You can get the software from free to not too expensive.

I wouldn't limit the site to just the students. If I were there trying to seel my small collection of zippo lighters, I wouldn't care where the buyer goes to school or which state they live in.

The feedback we get is that most people wants to browse by skimming through pictures of the stuff being sold instead of looking at text.

Limiting it to student only has become almost necessary. We are already having problems with scamming and spamming in the facebook group. We cant afford the time or money to have a dedicated admin / mod babysitting the site all the time cleaning spams. On the other hand in such a small school where everyone knows everbody else having volunteer mods is another college drama waiting to happen.

We already have another facebook group specifically for the townpeople (and students if they want to join). Its still manageable because the post activity is much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by soju View Post
    Let me start off with some background:
    My college is located in the middle of nowhere, its pretty small about 2-3 thousand students and like most colleges the students are trying to be as frugal as possible.

Due to the location, buying stuff online or from the city is both expensive and frustrating. So often times students try to buy stuff from each other. We tried using facebook groups to facilitate this activity but due to its nature it is simply too unorganized to be truly effective.

So me and my friends are thinking about creating some ebay-like site just for our fellow students. We asked some experienced web developers but their price range is just way out of our league. Therefore we decided to see if we can build one ourselves.

Some objectives we are shooting for :
    - Enable users to share photos of stuff they want to sell. Bidding system needs not be present. Probably better if users simply are able to leave msg / comment how much they're offering. The usual facilities : subscription, notification, etc

- If possible use some kind of a web framework.

- Use Facebook login if feasible to make it more appealing to existing Facebook group user. Outsourcing security to Facebook is also nice. But if possible we would like to be able to limit login / registration to emails using our school domainname.

- Attractive design. Have a graphic design major / graduate that will help out. Probably will have to use advanced html5 + css3 technique to implement her design. Legacy support is minimal, most computers here use modern browsers.

- Friendly language like Python or Ruby would be preferred so that the site can be handed down to other students when we leave.

I understand this is a huge undertaking. As long as we can start with something basic that has a good enough design to be extended over the years I will be happy.

Could you guys please provide some pointers on where to start ?

Just hire a affordable Web development company that works on hourly basis. So the cost will be in hours and you will easily manage per hour.

Course you can attach pictures in seconds with forum software.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haha yes of course you can put images in the post.
    But I meant they want to browse the offerings by looking at pictures instead of the thread titles.

Thread Information