www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Just created my first app and there seems to be a loading problem. Help?

Just created my first app and there seems to be a loading problem. Help?

So I created an app using codiqa and dreamweaver and it works wonderfully on my mac. The problem is when I view it on cordova or on an iPhone/iPad, there is a terrible lag when navigating from page to page. What makes it even weirder is that this problem happens the first time you do that action. For instance if you navigate from the home page to lets say the shopping page, the page takes time to load itself and it kind of slides down in a blocky matter. Then when you go back to the home page and navigate to the shopping page for the second time, it is perfectly loaded. Is there anyway I can stop this from occurring? Maybe an action that would load all the pages while the app is starting up? Or a button being pressed to load everything?

I'm not familiar with codiqa, so I cannot give specific advice, but I'd suggest that your problem is the initial download of a page into cache. Look at the graphics. How big are they? Are they optimised for the web? If you have Dreamweaver, presumably you also have Fireworks? That is a good tool, but by no means the only one, for optimizing graphics. If that's not the problem, how big are the .js libraries you are downloading? Are you downloading a separate copy for each page? Just thoughts...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 07-27-2012 at 03:39 AM.

you're totally right! I have an image as the background that is a 1280x960 its massive. I also do not have Fireworks I'll get to downloading it thanks a bunch!
    My .js libraries aren't that big (at least I dont think they are) what is a proper size that the .js files should be. Im a total newbie at HTML coding and making apps

The js libraries are whatever size they are! The problem with them is that they may contain a lot of code that you do not actually use. The guideline for building mobile friendly web sites is a TOTAL size (code, graphics and libraries) of 20 KBytes per page. That is seriously small, but is a target to aim at. Some things, like the libraries, may be re-used on subsequent pages, but still need downloading the first time. The download time of the home page is the most critical.

How to test the page size? Easy - All the main browsers allow you to save a web page you are viewing. So just save the home page somewhere out of the way (do not overwrite your source code). There should be an html file and a directory containing all the graphics and libraries etc. Just add up the sizes of it all, and make a note of the large individual items. Then you will know where the problem lies...

Talking

sweet thanks! I'll get on that and hopefully this damn app will run smoothly

Hey, thedittymenon......
    Do inform if u able to resolve the problem. Cause I have also facing same sort of problem......

I can stop this from occurring? Maybe an action that would load all the pages while the app is starting up? Or a button being pressed to load everything? I cannot give specific advice, but I'd suggest that your problem is the initial download of a page into cache. Look at the graphics. How big are they? The problem with them is that they may contain a lot of code that you do not actually use. The guideline for building mobile friendly web sites is a TOTAL size (code, graphics and libraries) of 20 KBytes per page.

Thread Information