www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Removing Tags

Removing Tags

I'm trying to only allow certain tags for text that is input through a text editor. I've got the following code that all text is filtered through first:

PHP Code:
    $_content strip_tags($_content'<p></p><a></a><ul></ul><li></li><h1></h1>'); 
    My understanding is that this will allow the tags above and strip the rest out, but I noticed <span> and <font> tags are making it through.

Is there another function to use to strip out the <span> or <font> tags or am I misusing the strip_tags function?

You don't need to include the closing tags in the allowed tag list. Maybe that's what's confusing things? See if it makes any difference with ''<p><a><ul><li><h1>'.

On a side note, be aware that it won't by itself prevent something like the following if you allow the <p> tag, for instance:
    Code:
    <p onmouseover='window.location("http://www.example.com/annoying_page");'>
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    You don't need to include the closing tags in the allowed tag list. Maybe that's what's confusing things? See if it makes any difference with ''<p><a><ul><li><h1>'.

On a side note, be aware that it won't by itself prevent something like the following if you allow the <p> tag, for instance:
    Code:
    <p onmouseover='window.location("http://www.example.com/annoying_page");'>
    I tried it without the closing tags and it still allowed a <span> and <font> tag through.

Have you considered using BBCode, or a WYSIWYG textarea plugin like TinyMCE? It can give you better overall control without you having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Have you considered using BBCode, or a WYSIWYG textarea plugin like TinyMCE? It can give you better overall control without you having to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
    I'm using CKEditor and I don't want the customer to change the fonts because then it screws up the default font-size and makes the site look like crap. I just don't understand why strip_tags doesn't remove those tags. Maybe they're exempt

Have you tried dumping the actual variable being processed right before the call to strip_tags? Is it possible that CKEditor is doing something funky with the mark-up?

In any case, this little test worked fine for me:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $text 
    = <<<EOD
    <p>This is a <span style='font-family:courier'>test</span></p>
    EOD;

echo 
    "<pre>"htmlspecialchars($text)."</pre>\n";
    echo 
    $text;

$filtered strip_tags($text'<p><a>');
    echo 
    "<pre>"htmlspecialchars($filtered)."</pre>\n";
    echo 
    $filtered;

eBookworm.us

Thread Information