dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Questions about minimalist layouts.

Questions about minimalist layouts.

It seems like these days the layouts on major sites don't have much to them: facebook.com, walgreens.com, amazon.com, the list goes on and on.

Two questions:

1) Why are these layouts so common?

2) Should all sites be designed with a minimalist layout?

Minimalist website designs are definitely the way to go these day. The minimilast concept is applicable to virtually everything. Take Apple's Macbook Air for example. It took away many key features like the CD drive. Why? Because basically no one uses it anymore, therefore making it redundant. Remember, when you make a website, don't add any unnecessary features. Only what's needed. If you have anymore questions please let me know. I've been coding on the web for almost 15 years now.

Hmm, so what does this mean for the future of web design? Are layouts like the following going to go by the wayside: http://thinkdesignblog.com/wp-conten...by_Sansana.jpg

I'm a believer in the phrase "form follows function", and the websites you mention certainly reflect that principle. There's a lot of emphasis on "responsive design" these days in an effort to have a single site serve both mobile and desktop devices, which often lends itself to a minimalist approach. But that doesn't mean elegant designs with an artist flair are dying or outmoded. It all depends on the purpose of the website and, as many comedians have noted, one size never fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by evenstar7139 View Post
    Hmm, so what does this mean for the future of web design? Are layouts like the following going to go by the wayside: http://thinkdesignblog.com/wp-conten...by_Sansana.jpg
    Oh, I hope not. As much as I like minimalist design, the web would be a very boring place if it were all minimalist!

If you've ever had a laptop without an optical drive, you know how much it is missed the first time you need to install that one thing that you can't get drivers online for. Argh!

the web would be a very boring place if it were all minimalist!
    I agree, but I had no idea if this was where web design was heading.

If you've ever had a laptop without an optical drive, you know how much it is missed the first time you need to install that one thing that you can't get drivers online for. Argh!
    I have a laptop with a DVD drive that doesn't work. I miss it every time I want to watch a DVD, lol.

Thread Information