dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wordpress or Joomla or Drupal or something else?

Wordpress or Joomla or Drupal or something else?

Hi,

I am looking for something small and fast to small company site with gallery. I dont think that Joomla and Drupal will be good for this. Maybe Wordpress or something else?
    I've tested Quick.Cms and Get Simple but i'am affraid because this scripts dont work on SQL.

Should i choose Wordpress?

Joomla! is the best CMS available in my opinion. I know you want something simple, but Joomla! is extremely comprehensive, it's safe & secure and there's a lot of development support.

I would say use Joomla! because if in the future your client decides they want to have a more thorough web site, you'll have a very good framework already in place and ready to work with and won't have to transfer pages to a new system if you install Wordpress now. Wordpress doesn't stand up against Joomla! in the CMS arena.

I would advise considering all eventualities and potential problems in the future even though right now you don't need anything too comprehensive. Joomla can help much more than Wordpress and is no more difficult to learn, it has a simple back-end and and counts as a "lightweight" content management system.

Wordpress is probably the easiest CMS to use.

For simple sites like this, WordPress is perfect - you can setup a proper website with a gallery in 30 minutes.. most of WordPress's security issues are from plugins as of late.

Search on google for wordpress hardening aswell for some basic tips on taking care of most of the problems you might run into.

Is it just me, or do Wordpress sites all look like blogs to you guys?

George: I considered using Joomla! once but since I want to be a commercial OO PHP developer I figured I wouldn't learn anything and abandoned the idea. I dunno, I just feel like, when you code stuff from scratch, you will always have more control.

Joomla suits your requirement best, i have experience in creating many websites with joomla and it is simply awesome.

Joomla! is the kind of system you would need to know if you were to get a job working for a web development company. They all use Joomla!, Magento, Wordpress, etc. to build their web sites simply because of the ease of use and time saved. Building these systems for each and every client is an expensive and inefficient way to go about web design & development.

Keep in mind, Joomla! is a generic tool for building web sites not specific to any topic. If your goal is to become a PHP developer then it will probably be of little use to you. Interestingly, Joomla! is something that's very comprehensive and it's unlikely an individual could build anything more advanced and complete over any meaningful length of time. Though I do agree that building your own tools is a great way to go.

You are right of course, Wordpress web sites do all look like blogs. Maybe you were being sarcastic? http://wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George88 View Post
    Joomla! is the kind of system you would need to know if you were to get a job working for a web development company. They all use Joomla!, Magento, Wordpress, etc. to build their web sites simply because of the ease of use and time saved. Building these systems for each and every client is an expensive and inefficient way to go about web design & development.

Keep in mind, Joomla! is a generic tool for building web sites not specific to any topic. If your goal is to become a PHP developer then it will probably be of little use to you. Interestingly, Joomla! is something that's very comprehensive and it's unlikely an individual could build anything more advanced and complete over any meaningful length of time. Though I do agree that building your own tools is a great way to go.

You are right of course, Wordpress web sites do all look like blogs. Maybe you were being sarcastic? http://wordpress.com/
    Is this all directed toward me? I guess I'll reply as if it were.

Joomla! is the kind of system you would need to know if you were to get a job working for a web development company.
    All I will ever do is freelance projects for clients and some projects as hobbies for myself.

Joomla! is something that's very comprehensive and it's unlikely an individual could build anything more advanced and complete over any meaningful length of time.
    Are you saying it's hard to make a better site than one could make with Joomla!, or it's hard to make a better content management system?

You are right of course, Wordpress web sites do all look like blogs. Maybe you were being sarcastic?
    I've seen people try to make sites other than blogs with them and they have failed. Their sites still look like blogs. And yeah, I've used Wordpress before. I think it's great if a blog is actually what you want, lol. I have a wordpress blog. It's a piece of shiz because I update it like once a year. I don't think anybody reads it, lol.
    Last edited by evenstar7139; 08-01-2012 at 07:07 AM.

I'd say start with WordPress.

Evenstar7139 if a site fails and is powered by WordPress do you really think that this is WordPress' fault or the person's who implemented the idea?

Also we have to think first what is our primary goal and use the right tool for the job and not just default to any CMS.

I use WordPress for small to medium size sites however there are cases where 1-3 simple static pages will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lordspace View Post
    I'd say start with WordPress.
    Evenstar7139 if a site fails and is powered by WordPress do you really think that this is WordPress' fault or the person's who implemented the idea?
    To be honest, I can't tell you, because I never thought that much about it. I just know I've never seen a non-blog Wordpress site I liked, and that I personally wouldn't use it for the purpose.

There's much debate about whether or not WordPress even qualifies as a CMS. I'm not going to entertain such debate, but WordPress was designed and built with blogging in mind; it's highly optimised for such a task.

Joomla! has blogging capacity secondary to content management and in my opinion, is much better quality too. WordPress is the easiest system to use and therefore most widely used. People are just lazy.

There's not really any good reason to use WordPress over Joomla! even if one only requires a blog. The blogging abilities of Joomla! are comprehensive and complete. People often make the argument that Joomla! is unnecessary (too big, extensive, etc.) when WP is optimised for blogs and while this is true to some extent, the Joomla! system is no more complex on the back-end and is probably more intuitive in the end.

Regarding your question: I was implying that you wouldn't want to attempt to recreate the system and therefore, would be better off simply learning it. Also that you're not going to learn much about commercial PHP development from Joomla! since it's a closed API unusable on any other projects.

There's not really any good reason to use WordPress over Joomla! even if one only requires a blog. The blogging abilities of Joomla! are comprehensive and complete. People often make the argument that Joomla! is unnecessary (too big, extensive, etc.) when WP is optimised for blogs and while this is true to some extent, the Joomla! system is no more complex on the back-end and is probably more intuitive in the end.
    I agree with most of your points about Joomla obviously being more comprehensive than WordPress but it is obviously better suited to mid to large sized projects.

WordPress, however, is ideal for this project because it is easy to use (both for the developer and the user) and can be set up and running in very little time.

Joomla! can be set up and running in minutes as well. That's not really a good reason to go for WordPress over Joomla!

If you're talking about Joomla! vs WordPress development, then I can't speak from experience because I've never developed for WordPress. However, my opinion is always to think ahead and plan for the future. If your web site is likely to grow or one thinks expansion in the future is possible, then it makes more sense to use Joomla! because it has capacities for much more.

However, if blogging is the sole purpose of the web site and no interest in expansion is necessary, I suppose WordPress should be considered. Even if this is the case, Joomla! blogging is just as easy as WordPress. I'd personally argue it's easier, but I'm used to Joomla!

I primarily develop on .NET but on PHP CMS I prefer Joomla over WP in general specially the newer versions. I prefer MVC.

@George: No WP can be extended as well. It's just how you implement it. Just keep in mind there are lots of plugins in WP that was poorly implemented. There are also lots that's good.

For Multi level forms that we usually use on lead generation pages I love the capacity of Drupal.

Since I like MVC I use CodeIgniter (I extended this of course) primarily on interactive sites specially if we're making custom ERPs.

If nothing applies the good old built it from scratch works perfectly.

I agree completely. If you think the website might expand in the future then Joomla! is definitely the way to go.

I've just found WordPress easier to install and use (though I have a lot more experience with it than I do with Joomla!). Then again, while it is extremely customizable, I would never use it on a mid to large sized site.

@ssystems: Definitely my feeling, if I don't feel the CMS can get it done the way I want it, it's straight into building it from scratch.

Thread Information