www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Reading emails?

Reading emails?

I have run into another brick wall here, basically i would like to read emails sent to me from paypal when someone buys something from my site.

This email will contain a block of text with product codes and quantity's.

I would like to read each NEW email, scan and retrieve these codes and quantity's, but leave the message as unread.

This is to keep stock levels automated, and a step towards allowing the site to sell more than we have.

I have googled this and found a few examples of scripts that i cant even understand let alone use.

I'm not asking for a ready to go script, just help getting started on this.

I will continue to google.

Keep picking.

try this: https://pear.php.net/package/Mail

I have also seen a module somewhere called "SMTP" which was some kind of C bindings (perhaps?). You could literally get a (resource)/connection with authentication and everything and then iterate over emails.
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

Not much luck with pear.

Also i ideally would like to avoid prewritten code that i dont understand,
    Every bit of code on plecpicker.com has been done by me, and i know whats what.

I see this as more than just developing my site, it is a learning curve.

At the minute i'm learning perl. from what i have read about it, perl seem to be the language of choice for achieving this email scanner.

Wouldn't it be more effective to use the Paypal IPN rather than scan through emails which could be spoofed?

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    wouldn't it be more effective to use the paypal ipn rather than scan through emails which could be spoofed?
    +1
    Good Luck

Santos Systems

Would it be easy to spoof an email when I am only looking for 1 type of email from 1 specific sender? Surely I could check ? No?

I will look into paypals own features, I did look into these a while ago before I decided to code my own cart from scratch. A decision I do not regret.

Quote Originally Posted by PlecPicker View Post
    Would it be easy to spoof an email when I am only looking for 1 type of email from 1 specific sender? Surely I could check ? No?

I will look into paypals own features, I did look into these a while ago before I decided to code my own cart from scratch. A decision I do not regret.
    The Paypal IPN notifies your script when a payment is processed. It is VERY easy to spoof that you created the email and to copy the format that was used in the real email. Using email to validate/verify any type of commerce is a BAD idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PlecPicker View Post

Yes. Just let us know what email you are checking and I'll send you one from that email. That's how easy it is.
    Good Luck

Santos Systems

satire

no.. its not easy to spoof email, because EVERYONE uses PGP/GPG (responsibly) these days...

+1 to the IPN
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

Thread Information