www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: creating a new site

creating a new site

I'm creating this new website for my father, I am sort-of a novice but he just really needs a website for his small business. The problem is he's only selling one product with alot of different colors, He just wants to make it so if he can click on a color and it will show the product in that color. is this possible to do without creating a a different html for each one?

The fastest and easiest way is to use a "CMS" (Content Management System) like Wordpress.

It is the fastest, easiest way for a beginner to get a page up and working.
    You can then simply create the menu for each color and voila... you have a whole website done in a few hours.

http://www.wordpress.org

Good luck!

Wordpress lets you get a site up easily enough, and you can use it to create individual pages for each color. But that seems like software overkill, and it doesn't directly address the issue of creating an interface for the user to actually buy the products, SSL certificates, etc. So, you'd have to add a shopping cart add-on.

For a new website designer that wants to offer a limited number of products, I'd suggest creating a conventional website and using one of the "Buy Now" buttons from PayPal. They give you all of the required HTML code and the customer purchasing interface and secure payments processing is all handled by PayPal. You can add a color selection menu that, with a little bit of JavaScript, will change the product image to the corresponding color. The web is full of templates you can use, or you can use a service like GoDaddy's "Website Tonight" automated website builder (just an example, not necessarily a recommendation). Then you just drop in the PayPal code, and you're up and running.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

well how do you create a form?

If you mean a form to let users purchase something, then all you need is the "Buy Now" HTML code from PayPal that I mentioned. All that's required, essentially, is to copy and paste that code into an HTML file. HTML files are basically just text files with embedded codes to control formatting and other aspects of the page.

Have you ever created a web page?
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Yes i've created a web page and I already made the form, but i'm just trying to figure out how exactly I can make it so I set up one product and thubnails to which they can click to see the product in different colors, and once they click the color they want and press add to cart, and continue with the checkout I get email telling me exactly what color and size they chose. Do you have an aim, facebook, yahoo, or anything i can reach you at?

Hi Sosa,

The answer to your question would be 'yes', you can create one page that will manage the change of colour of the product with the click of a button. For this you will need a little bit of javascript knowhow (go to the javascript forum for help with that).

ok well i made a spreadsheet with google this is my code so far, but I want to make it so when i choose the color the picture will change, instead of setting up 10 different products for each color.

<script src="https://www-sgw-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/ifr?url=https&#37;3A%2F%2Fstoregadgetwizard.appspot.com%2Fservlets%2FgadgetServlet%3Fkey%3D0AoxQgGxn y36i dFRkTkFId3VGalBUWnVGbXhXbVVuUWc%26mid%3D965592689654796%26currency%3DUSD%26sandbox%3Dfalse%26gadget% 3DTINY&amp;container=storegadgetwizard&amp;w=215&amp;h=250&amp;title=&amp;brand=none&amp;output=js"> </script>

Thread Information