dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Simple site that is having trouble with IE freezing.

Simple site that is having trouble with IE freezing.

Hello. I have a website at http://www.vacationocg.com/ which is a pretty simple site for a client that looks fine in Firefox, chrome and safari. But with internet explorer it just shows up the dark blue of the background and freezes up. I notice the files that it stops loading at are the images that are part of slider. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a potential reason for this.

thank you for any help!

You must be viewing your site in an older version of IE. Your site is built with HTML5; IE6 and IE7 do not support HTML5, and I believe IE8 only support certain aspects of it with the assistance of javascript. IE9 handles it fine. Other browser won't have an issue with it as you've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutmgd13 View Post
    You must be viewing your site in an older version of IE. Your site is built with HTML5; IE6 and IE7 do not support HTML5, and I believe IE8 only support certain aspects of it with the assistance of javascript. IE9 handles it fine. Other browser won't have an issue with it as you've seen.
    HTML5 is backwards compatible (at least the doctype at any rate), even better if you include an html5shiv.

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    HTML5 is backwards compatible (at least the doctype at any rate), even better if you include an html5shiv.
    There are certain pieces that won't work, same with CSS3. Yea, the shiv is one of the JS supports i was thinking of. The doctype will only tell the browser to read the document as HTML5, if it can.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutmgd13 View Post
    There are certain pieces that won't work, same with CSS3. Yea, the shiv is one of the JS supports i was thinking of. The doctype will only tell the browser to read the document as HTML5, if it can.
    For the most part it will gracefully degrade though, much different than in the past (html3 to html4 among others).

so to understand you correctly, should I insert html5shiv to enable to work with the other versions of IE? or what do you think would be the best option (if there is one) to allow the page to display in the other versions of IE? sorry for a novice question, but this job is riding on the fact that it would work in IE as well. i wish i would have tested it more thoroughly in the first case. any help is appreciated. thanks!

I won't get a chance to look at it until I get home as I'm on a work network currently. I couldn't say if that would fix your problems, just that someone else pointed out you might be using html5 tags that are not supported by older versions of IE.

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    I won't get a chance to look at it until I get home as I'm on a work network currently. I couldn't say if that would fix your problems, just that someone else pointed out you might be using html5 tags that are not supported by older versions of IE.
    yea. section, header, nav, footer, etc.

@ absolutmgd13

I entered the script into the header.php at the very top that is for IE8 and before (i am using Wordpress):

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
    <script src="http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

I put the script in the top of the header.php and it loads more than what it did before, but it is still freezing while trying to load the rest. Do you think i would have to put that in somewhere else as well other than just the header.php

Found this fix at:
    http://www.designerkawch.com/337/html5-enabling-script/

I have a test site that I am trying to fix prior to messing with the real one that is located at:
    http://jdwordpress.com/vic/

thank you!

ive personally never used a shiv before because i only work with the newest browsers as a way to usher the general public into updated! But these will only activate so much, try validating your code and see if there are any major errors.

http://validator.w3.org/

Thread Information