I don't even know how to phrase this problem so I can search for it.
What I am doing is searching a string array for a match and if found, I replace it. If not found, I add a new element to the array then save it all in a text file.
The string that I use to replace or add to this array is a CSV string created from an array.
The problem, the resulting string has a large number of non-printing characters in it. In Notepad they are not visible and in DreamWeaver they appear as hundreds of carriage returns that generally appear before the string. In addition often one <CR> will be inserted after the one integer element in the array. Also, additional text is appended to the string.
Using print_r none of this nonsense shows up in the original array.
Note, $dw_AuthorList is an array of CSV-formatted strings. Each string is supposed to look like this:
"James","dw2012_031","Jon","sdf","414 K Street","530-297-XXXX","firstname.lastname@example.org","http://www.23j2.com","Yes","Yes","Yes","King 2011.mov","Junk.pdf","Yes","0","Nope. None. Never. Maybe 333353edz."
Actually, this one had 64 <CR> before the first character and over 300 after it.
The $dw_Data array contains strings except element 14 which is an integer.
I'm not having any problems reading and writing other text files.
Here's the code. Search/replace itself is working fine. The conversion to a CSV string is not.
global $dw_AuthorList, $dw_Data;