www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: startup/patner thoughts, opinions, experiences?.....any veterans wanna weigh in?

Hybrid View

Question startup/patner thoughts, opinions, experiences?.....any veterans wanna weigh in?

Hello all,
    I have tons of ideas (don't we all?) and not enough time, skills or resources to properly process any of the big or good ones all by myself. So I thought I would see how people are connecting with others that compliment those missing elements. I read a lot of posts where people are looking to barter work with promises of profit sharing, or ownership in the proposed websites or companies. Thing is you see very few responses to these posts.

So I am wondering a few things and hoping to get a good dialog going. My thoughts are that most of the really talented web developers already have decent paying jobs or means to support themselves. So there is little interest in investing time and energy into something that is not guaranteed. So here are a few questions to get people talking. Feel free to expand upon these questions if people with similar interests or people with related experiences want to share.

Thanks.

PJ

Have you ever partnered with someone to try and start a brand new web business? If so, success or disaster? And why?

You are a talented developer versed in many technologies.....what would it take to make it worth your while to put in an extra 10-20 hours a week without a guarantee of compensation to see if you can launch the next big idea? % of profit sharing? % of ownership? Something else?

What type of web business would you want to hear more details about a possible partnership? What's hot, and why?

What kind of person with an idea would you partner with? What traits, resources or whatever would make you feel comfortable you could work as a team?

Anything else?

Finding the right partners is a nightmare in my experience. I have two TM's which a PHP coder code with some other complimentary skills to mine (I do SEO - EG page 1 SERPS - good natural white hat ones) would get 4% ownership of and the same 4% ownership of on over 40 domains but can't find anyone as people only really want to know how much money they will make in my experience thus far which is like "how long is a piece of string"

Have you ever partnered with someone to try and start a brand new web business? If so, success or disaster? And why?

You are a talented developer versed in many technologies.....what would it take to make it worth your while to put in an extra 10-20 hours a week without a guarantee of compensation to see if you can launch the next big idea? % of profit sharing? % of ownership? Something else?

=> % of profit sharing is a point, but I see it as "selling the bear skin before you killed it". Personnaly, before I accept engaging myself in a project, I first need to feel that there is a professional preparation behind. Having an idea is easy. I've got boxes full of them. Bringing one live is a lot of work, starting with uml, documentation and a good evaualtion of needed skills. Without these, there will be no good outcome to the "idea", and thus no profit and a lot of time spent for nothing.

What type of web business would you want to hear more details about a possible partnership? What's hot, and why?

=> I believe in the future of web apps, online browser gaming and website interaction tools.

What kind of person with an idea would you partner with? What traits, resources or whatever would make you feel comfortable you could work as a team?

=> probably someone like me^^
    seriously, I depends on the person. Chatting for some time would help me make myself an opinion.

Anything else?

=> community programming is not new. Drupal is a good example (even if i hate drupal^^). I don't know how they share the profits, but one thing is sure, the final quality of the different modules depends on the team skills. Some are awesome, some are ok, some are worth nothing and some never get out of dev stage. My opinion is that you need an excellent team leader, otherwise even with the best devs and ideas, it's a no-end street.

Finding a partner on-line never works. You have to have capital and pay the programmers/designers to do their jobs as freelancers for you and than cut the cord. This is the only way you will get anything accomplished.

1. Have you ever partnered with someone to try and start a brand new web business? If so, success or disaster? And why?

Yes and he took all my ideas and business with him because I was too naive in the beginning and trusted too easily. Owes me a lot of money till this day but I decided to let it go, because what goes around comes around. I did all the technical work, he did sales.

2. You are a talented developer versed in many technologies.....what would it take to make it worth your while to put in an extra 10-20 hours a week without a guarantee of compensation to see if you can launch the next big idea? % of profit sharing? % of ownership? Something else?

No money or % number would make me consider a project. I have to be interested in it in the first place and see my self long term doing the project in 5-10 years. I have to believe in the project and ethical implications of it to the end user no matter how much money it would make me.

3. What type of web business would you want to hear more details about a possible partnership? What's hot, and why?

In the web word nothing is hot. Everything has been done and copied and redone 10 times over. The leaders that captured the market in the 90's during the web boom will lead and the new will fail trying to compete. (example: Amazon vs new ecommerce). Service wise there is not much that can be done that doesn't exist in some way or form.

4. What kind of person with an idea would you partner with? What traits, resources or whatever would make you feel comfortable you could work as a team?

The only person I would think about partnering up with is a close friend with the same vision. This of course is a double edged sword because money can ruin everything.

Anything else?

Word of advice from someone who has started many projects and finished them successfully. Learn as much as you can and don't depend on others. Not only are you making your self more valuable to other businesses as an employee, you will depend less on other people in your own ventures.

Thread Information