dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wrong is the excel link?

Quote Originally Posted by criterion9 View Post
    Something they are doing server side is probably preventing the hotlinking. I'm not going to tell you how to work around it.
    You already spend time on this post, thank you very much for your visit, you know how but you don't want to share your experience, it is very strange behaviour. I know you want to share, but you need a treat, isn't it?

Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by oem7110 View Post
    You already spend time on this post, thank you very much for your visit, you know how but you don't want to share your experience, it is very strange behaviour. I know you want to share, but you need a treat, isn't it?

The reason I won't help you further is because in some places I could be held criminally contributory to an action you could take depending on the particular situation. Circumventing "security measures" in a computer system are illegal in some countries/areas and mine is one of them.

The reason I won't help you further is because in some places I could be held criminally contributory to an action you could take depending on the particular situation. Circumventing "security measures" in a computer system are illegal in some countries/areas and mine is one of them.
    The document is opened to general public for downloading, I don't see any illegal action for my request, how could it be illegal in your country?

The document is opened to general public for downloading, I don't see any illegal action for my request, how could it be illegal in your country?
    Circumventing an intentional security measure is illegal in some areas...and at best unethical in others. The file you point to may be accessible if you go to the site it is hosted on and click the link, but pretty obviously they don't want it hotlinked or they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to prevent such a thing.

Circumventing an intentional security measure is illegal in some areas...and at best unethical in others. The file you point to may be accessible if you go to the site it is hosted on and click the link, but pretty obviously they don't want it hotlinked or they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to prevent such a thing.
    From technical point of view, the URL parameter could be concerned for their own management issues only, and tells nothing about their intentions on preventing for hotlink, except if they mention it in T&C within the web site, if they don't mention it, it cannot be illegal, but it may be unethical, which cannot be measured in legal term.

Do you find any case in court how people discuss in this potential unethical issue?

Last edited by oem7110; 08-17-2012 at 10:51 AM.

From technical point of view, the URL parameter could be concerned for their own management issues only, and tells nothing about their intentions on preventing for hotlink, except if they mention it in T&C within the web site, if they don't mention it, it cannot be illegal, but it may be unethical, which cannot be measured in legal term.

Do you find any case in court how people discuss in this potential unethical issue?

I would argue that the fact that they took extra steps to try to prevent hotlinking when just allowing the hotlinking would be easier makes it an intentional computerized security measure. T&Cs have nothing to do with the total sum of what may or may not be legal. Being unaware of a law doesn't make breaking it any less of a crime.

Also, using your argument above that they must specifically mention that they don't want hotlinking in order for it to be illegal... Does not specifically telling you that I don't want you to enter and/or take things from my home make it legal for you to do so?

Also, using your argument above that they must specifically mention that they don't want hotlinking in order for it to be illegal... Does not specifically telling you that I don't want you to enter and/or take things from my home make it legal for you to do so?
    This is a very interesting discussion. I understand your opinion, but the objective is that web site provides documents to be downloaded for general public without any specific restrictions, but your home is not opened for general public.

For example, I can take photos of anyone on the street without asking people's permission, it is my freedom, or am I doing something illegal here?

Do you have any suggestions?
    Last edited by oem7110; 08-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.

For example, I can take photos of anyone on the street without asking people's permission, it is my freedom, or am I doing something illegal here?
    In some places that is against the law...in many cases depending on the specific street and who owns adjacent properties as well.

In some places that is against the law...in many cases depending on the specific street and who owns adjacent properties as well.
    Specially on communities

Your mentioned area look like a private street, but Internet is a public space, I think as long as the action is not threatening other, such as DOS, it is legal to download distributed documents in any way your want, and I can take photos of anyone where I want in public space, as long as not threatening other as well.

I am interested on which city you live, the law is so strict, which may be conflicts with news reporter, who can take photos without asking any permission in public space and Police will protect them, could Police execute this law effectively for not allowing photoshooting in your local area?

Thanks eveyrone very much for any suggestions
    Last edited by oem7110; 08-17-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Removing comment
    Last edited by ssystems; 08-17-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Comment have been too rude

Thread Information