dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How could I handle this?

How could I handle this?

I am new programmer. In the first place I really like my job because they gave me project and then when I finished it they give me a new task that was fixing a bugs of others work. The programmer who created the application were resigned and then time goes by we discover a lot of bugs. I am still in the process of familiarizing the application.

The program is all about changing the field in the table in database and then will exported to text files.

The problem is I don't have key to fix the bugs of others I don't like it. This would be part of being a programmer? How can I handle it? What shall I do?

The best solution is to migrate to a newer version and write a patch for the new
    version of your application that read the current DB and export the old DB into
    a new DB with the newer structure.

What key are you looking for? You mean idea? Yes you can say that it is part of it. Just keep in mind there is a difference between programmers, coders, engineers, architects, etc.

The first thing I would do is to check if the DB is being used by other applications in the enterprise. Changing it point blank will just make you create patches to a number of applications if it is being by something else.

Next is to actually list the bugs and run an estimates on it. Replacing the entire application that will be like 100hours and fixing all the bugs in 10 hours is ridiculous. Also you will end up with that habit (if you are new to this career) and always recommend just replacing the application because you can't understand it.

These two steps above will determine your next plan of action.

Thread Information