www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Languages to learn to make a site like flickr?

Languages to learn to make a site like flickr?

I am in need of some people to design and code my website that will be like flickr and photobucket.

the website is captify.com, and right now it has wordpress installed so it has something on it.

I plan on having my logo in the top left corner, saying "Captify" and a sublogo of "Express life, in photos."

There will be a small slideshow of beautiful pictures of people enjoying life, in the same spot that the facebook timeline ad is. It would be slightly skewed off angle, so it looked like it was in a scrapbook. Then it would have a sign up now right beside it. A lot like facebook. There would be easy ways for members to upload photos and commment on each other photos, and you can "listen" (like subscribing in facebook, or following on twitter) to people. I will explain my idea in more depth if I choose to have someone code this.

I will upload a drawn homepage of my site really soon, so if you can understand what I'm doing now, it would be best!

my real question is, In what order do I learn these languages?

I am trying to make a mix of flickr and facebook, called Captify

In what order do i need to know:

HTML (do i need to learn html5 or xhtml?) CSS PHP MySQL Javascript (do i need to?) Dreamweaver

webucator.com/at-your-own-pace/course/pkg.webuca.imr.cfm

Is this a good course to take for 399?

ALSO, what languages would I need to learn to make a game like Runescape or WOW, a MMORPG, and what would I need to learn to do something like COD or Battlefield?

I'm sorry for the really noobish questions, I'm just new to this. I am patient, and I don't care how long it takes for me to make this site!

HTML is the basic building block of websites and web apps. Everything the browser renders (pretty much) must be, in the end, HTML. HTML5 is the latest version, learn it.

CSS is used to apply visual styling (and now animations) to HTML elements. CSS3 is the latest version, learn it.

The above two are a prerequisite before you learn anything else (if you're going into web development that is).

Now:

Javascript is a scripting language. It is best thought of as a way to add interactivity to your website. When you post a comment to Facebook, and it appears there - that's javascript (and so on).

--- With the above 3 you can make interactive websites ---

PHP/MySQL are server side tools. PHP is a scripting language that runs on your server. PHP is by no means the only such server-side language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Node, Java, ASP.NET). If you want to create dynamic (data-driven) websites, then you will need a server-side to your site. MySQL is an SQL-based RDBMS (Relational Database Management System). It stores and indexes data. Again, it is not the only one, and many different data storage solutions exist. PHP and MySQL are my weapons of choice for most projects requiring a server-side.

---

For what you're building, you definitely need the first three, the next two will come if you need a data-driven site. If you want it to be static (no changing data) then you don't need the last two.

---

For games etc., there are lots of languages and engines that can be used.

---

Dreamweaver is an application, and, in my opinion, a bad one at that. Nevertheless it is not a language. I would recommend a different editor, like Sublime-Text 2, TextMate or Coda.

---

The best way to learn is by doing.

What most people use as a CMS for interactive sites is Drupal.

Thread Information