www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Converting Flash search into HTML/Javascript

Converting Flash search into HTML/Javascript

Hello everyone. Thanks to those of you who take the time to look at this.

I am working on my company`s intranet knowledgebase. The search option is currently hosted inside of Flash movie. If I open the .fla file I can see the following action assigned to the search button

on (press)
    {
    getURL("FSCommand:search", "search=" + search + "&location=Aliant&catalog=aliant");
    }

This is coded with action script 2.0 which if I`m not mistaken is pretty much the same as JavaScript.
    I am trying to replace the flash search and navigation with html and JavaScript so I need to know how code my search bar to query our local database. The coding for this page as it is now is as follows:

<HTML>
    <HEAD>

<script language="JavaScript" src="../common/scripts/navigation.js"></script>
    <script language="VBScript" src="../common/scripts/navigation.asp"></script>

<TITLE>header</TITLE>
    <base target="contents">
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
    <!-- URL's used in the movie-->
    <!-- <A HREF=sympatico/></A> text used in the movie-->
    <OBJECT classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" name="headermovie"
    WIDTH=1280 HEIGHT=116 id="headermovie">
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="header.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="header.swf" WIDTH=1280 HEIGHT=116 quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.xxx?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" swliveconnect=true name="headermovie"></EMBED>
    </OBJECT>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

I am assuming that the submit will have to somehow target the scripts located in the head of the page. I tried this with the following code but couldn`t get it to work.

<form method="get" action="../common/scripts/navigation.asp">
    <input type="text" name="search" size="15" id="search" />
    <input type="submit" value="Search" />
    </form>

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by amaturecoder; 08-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thread Information