www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Automatically generating PHP documentation - without using the command line?

Automatically generating PHP documentation - without using the command line?

Hi,

I've just spent hours trying to generate PHP documentation for our systems, probably around 800 pages in total and very well commented so figured it'd be a good idea to have it generated automatically. Unfortunately anything I've tried (namely APIgen and phpDocumentor) have required either weird access permissions or internet connections which aren't available on the server - basically every single thing I've tried results in some kind of error.

Is there any alternative I've overlooked, preferably something that can just scan a directory and generate documentation accordingly? I've already spent hours on it I know, but if I can get something that'll work it'll save me weeks, potentially even longer in not having to re-write and collate all of my code and comments.

Thank you

Hm, that's a good suggestion thank you, but unfortunately the code is on a secure server without an internet connection - and I'd almost certainly get sacked for taking any of the code into the public domain

Quote Originally Posted by blizeH View Post
    Hm, that's a good suggestion thank you, but unfortunately the code is on a secure server without an internet connection - and I'd almost certainly get sacked for taking any of the code into the public domain
    I don't think the suggestion was to move/publish your code anywhere, but to see if there is any documentation software available on SourceForge you might want to try.

In any case, I'm not clear what your problem was with PHPDocumentor, as I've used that a number of times in the past without any problems?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Trying to run phpDocumentor on my local machine now and getting exactly the same errors as I was getting on the server - the firewall blocks both the PEAR and manual installations, I've tried downloading directly from GitHub and installing, I get as far as it trying to generate the documentation but it fails because important files (such as phpDocumentor.ini) are not part of the GitHub install.

Really not sure what to try next - I've asked and I can't take my code away from work, but I cannot generate any documentation from any of the methods online... why has no one made a GUI documenter that doesn't require messing with services, paths etc etc?

This is my path, and I'm still receiving 'php.exe is not recognised' errors...!

C:\xampp\php;C:\xampp\php\phpDocumentor\bin;C:\xampp\php\apigen;

I personally use eclipse and the JavaDoc strings above all of the signatures/variables/classes. Then click generate documentation, if you didn't already tell eclipse where to put it, it will ask and that's all there is too it.

Basically, "PHPDoc" is exactly the same as JavaDoc.
    I use (, ; : -) as I please- instead of learning the English language specification: I decided to learn Scheme and Java;

Ah brilliant, thank you - I'll check that out

Thread Information