www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a passworded page

Arrow Making a passworded page

Hey guys and gals.
    i need some help with making a passworded page with a easy log-on and registration thing. log on has a username and a password. just a simple one

you would need to use a server side language i think. eg. php

what does your host support?

ya i was told php and this page will be on a free web server so whatever they support. im not sure which one

what is your host?

my host is www.freeservers.com.
    it is just the free one

does not look like they support php. go to www.compactvision.com. they have a free host that supports php.
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

I made a thread like this a while back and someone posted some PHP i dunno if he is still hosting it or not but here is a link
    http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...threadid=16282

They do not support php. You are not limited to php though. You have many options. You can use asp asp.net php cgi jsp cf and more. What scripting experience do you have? Naturally I would suggest asp.net (Check out what my host offers for the price of $0, http://europe.webmatrixhosting.net/text.aspx?tmpl=about), but if that is not what you are in to you have still more options.

k i dont have very much exerience at all, ill try it out on that page u gave me for the server. thanks a bunch for the advice

Well whatever code you were given in the php forum will not work with the host I gave you. That host only supports asp.net. I can show you how to do a login with that though. But, even thought I feel that asp.net is the best technolgy out there, it might not be best for you. It depends on what you are comfortable with. One advantage to asp.net is it has language flexability. You can almost always find the language that has a similar syntax to what you are comfortable with in .net. If you decide to go with asp.net and try that post back and Ill hook you up with some login code and break it down for you how it works. But if you want to stick with .net and learn it, I suggest you buy a book on it because that is going to be the best way for you to learn alone. If you decide to go with php you are going to need to scout out a php host, the others here will be able to help you learn that and get that goning. Buy a book on php if you choose that. No matter what you pick buy a book basically

alright, i would prob want to do the simplist one there is, between php, asp.net, and asp. what ever one you think that would be sutable for a modeate beginner.
    and i would also love to have some samples to use and learn from there

lol. Simple is a matter of opionion. Some would say asp.net (myself) others would say php. Both are very capable technologies. Ill help you more later. I will post some asp.net login codes in a little while. Tell me, do you know anything about data bases? You are going to need to understand how they work for all of the server side technologies. I can provide a simple access data base with the script, but it would be up to you to modify it, like add names, add feilds. Jus to suit your future needs. You would need to modify the login script too obviously. Maybe make an insert form. But I can hook you up with examples for that stuff if you want.

yes i can understand most of the database and yes if you want you can suppy some simple databases with the scripts, and i will be able to modify it.

thnaks

Ok, I will tear apart my login script and mod it for access (I use sql server, but it isnt a big change) when I get home from church.

alright man. thanks a bunch for the awesome help

Thread Information