www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Bookmark thumbnail page, help requested

Bookmark thumbnail page, help requested

Hello, and thank you for any help you may provide on the matter.

I am designing a homepage for myself, and everything is going well. I have 7 buttons in the middle of the page, each linking to set sites, I don't know if they can be named, so I won't.

However what I need help with is the following: Beside these buttons, I want to have boxes, that someone could decide which site thumbnail link goes in that box. Think, the new tab thumbnail grid in Firefox, or like the homepage on Chrome. With all the thumbnail previews of the bookmarks YOU decide to place in that box.

I am a pretty experienced PHP, and HTML scripter, however I am not too proficient in Java and I don't even know if Java would be needed for this.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to hear from anyone who has tips.

I cannot understand your question... maybe a link?

If I understand correctly, you are asking for a facility for user-settable links with graphic buttons displaying an image of the site? I suspect some of that could be done with PHP and a cookie to record the selections.

I'm not sure about the graphic capture. A live link to the site in an IFrame would work graphically, but might prove excessively slow with more than 1 link per page.

Precisely jedaisoul, that is what I'm aiming for.

I have no idea if I should make it so everyone has their own account, and their setted sites are recorded through a mysql database, or if i should involve cookies in the matter, since a lot of people have them disabled anyway.

But what's really grinding my gears is in fact the picture itself. Getting a picture of the site is proving to be quite impossible.

This is one of the few situations where I would recommend trawling the net for pre-written applets to do what you want, rather than writing it from scratch. I do not think you need a database. Cookies should suffice to record the user selections. But if you want to use logins anyway (to distinguish members from guests etc...) then it would make sense.

Thread Information