dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Deploying asp.net web app through web setup project

Deploying asp.net web app through web setup project

I created an asp.net web application and am now attempting to deploy it. I followed these steps: http://itechtalk.wordpress.com/2006/...ion-in-aspnet/ , but when I build the web setup project, I get an error stating: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

I don't understand why I'm getting such an error at this step of the process, but for the record an application (not virtual directory) has already been added to IIS 7, and there is only one web.config file in my solution. However there is a web.debug.config and a web.release.config. Deleting them only causes more errors though.

First, what version are you using?
    http://forums.asp.net/t/1031775.aspx/1

Don't forget the primary output

I figured it out.

The tutorial I was using failed to mention that you needed to add the primary output and not just the content files, so it wasn't finding the dll. Strangely enough though, as I recall, when I created a new web setup project, the only option listed was Content Files, but when I instead added the new project, many more options were listed, including the Primary Output.

Good to hear.

Thread Information