dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What makes a job attractive?

What makes a job attractive?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some thoughts or advice on attracting top tech talent. Figured this was the best place to ask

What stands out to you in a job description when you look at one? What gets you to stop and take notice and maybe even apply for it?

As Im sure everyone here is seeing, the market for top tech talent is on fire right now. I think Priceline has a great story to tell, but I want to make sure Im telling the RIGHT story in the RIGHT way

Any opinion you can give is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

well obviously in any job your looking for 1- working time 2- cash 3- job title

depending on your time and cash you will evaluate the job..

Please Clarify

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "work time"? thanks for replying!

I think he means that someone who might work for you will likely want a guaranteed number of hours available to work, or a guaranteed salary. I definitely think this is one of the more important factors when considering a development job personally.

In addition to what hasouna mentioned, other great perks to have would be the ability to work remotely, a benefits package(medical, dental, etc), paid vacation time, and maybe stock options or even profit sharing if they are going to be the main driver behind your development team.

I think others will chime in with other perks I have missed. Keep in mind you don't have to offer all of these things, but offering a number of good perks like these will certainly attract attention from job seekers.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response. We do offer some of those perks. Our positions are full-time, salary based with great benefits including PTO time. We also offer an equity component for some of our positions. We do offer flexibility to work remotely when needed, but not on a "regular basis"..at least not right away. So from that perspective, I think we've got a lot to offer. I'm wondering, when you read a job description, what stands out at you in terms of the work?

Question Ever Wondered?

Have you ever wondered how your work contributes to the company as a whole? Is this something you look for in a job description?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismariani View Post
    Have you ever wondered how your work contributes to the company as a whole? Is this something you look for in a job description?
    It would kind of stroke my ego in the right way hearing that my work would be an important contribution to your company.

On that note though, simply telling potential job applicants that their work will put them in the spotlight, or will get them recognition amongst their peers is always a nice little perk for our egos too. Then of course you'll always need to congratulate employee's on a job well done, or something similar. Those of us who write code for a living rarely get enough credit for the type of work we do.

Something else I like to see is the opportunity for advancement(job position, and salary typically). From your perspective I think that would attract better job applicants that are goal oriented, and are always trying to do a better job. From my perspective I will be motivated to do a better job for you, because I know I can be rewarded for trying harder.

If you've got a work-in-progress job posting, let's see it! it'll be easier to make suggestions on a provided example.
    Last edited by WestWeb; 08-30-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Thread Information