www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to be sure clients will pay up?

How to be sure clients will pay up?

Hi. I'm negotiating a potential project with a company that is just starting up. Their main product will be the web app that I will develop for them. It's a pretty big project, and the bill will likely run into the tens of thousands. The thing is, it is pretty clear that they do not have the funds up front to pay for the project. It seems that they expect to pay after the project is delivered, mainly from the revenue generated from the app.

I'm reluctant to go ahead with this, as I may invest a lot of time into it and be struggling for years to collect. I don't want to have to go to court or anything. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, insights or experience on this sort of thing that they may like to share.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    It seems that they expect to pay after the project is delivered, mainly from the revenue generated from the app.
    That sounds uber dubious. Bottom line is they don't have the money. If they think their app will be successful, then they should get a loan from a bank to cover their business's start-up costs.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Yeah, that's the feeling I get. It wouldn't bother me so much if the project wasn't so big to start out with.

Save your self the hassle and don't do it. Even if the app launches they will have other bills to pay too so you won't be getting your fair share. You are a developer not a partner. You don't go to a store to buy a pen and paper and say you will pay for it when you write a book and it is successful. That's just stupid.

Thread Information