dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: When to use WordPress?

When to use WordPress?

Hi,

I would like to know why someone would choose WordPress over standard HTML pages. It seems to be becoming a popular choice for designing websites. My main reason for asking this is because I am working on becoming a web designer and I want to know if WP is necessary to learn. What are your thoughts?

Wordpress is for those who are willing to limit their design capabilities to what is produced by the makers of plugins. If your primary purpose is to blog or generate regular post where you just want a cookie cutter look then it is a good way to go. It is also useful for developers with moderate skills who want to pump out quick sites for a few bucks, without having to learn advanced skills.

There is nothing wrong with knowing how the canned stuff works, but you need to be aware of the extra layers of abstraction that make doing anything unique quite difficult, if you have not master the underlying tecnologies.

In contrast to dinosaurs (obviously uninformed)opinion, wordpress can actually do some amazing things for people used to static html sites. You can make your websites look however you want(assuming you have the html/css skills), you can create websites, blogs, e-commerce sites, and even complex content management systems using wordpress. If you learn to design and build your own wordpress themes, no visitor will ever know you are using wordpress for your sites.

As for your actual question: wordpress can add a lot of value for you, and your clients, including:
    • You can develop starter themes to start building your sites from, this way you can save a lot of time developing sites in the future.
    • There is a lot of functionality that can be added to your sites, simply by installing and setting up plugins
    • The wordpress dashboard is easy for clients to use, so they can manage their own websites and save on maintenance costs
    • There's a huge community based around wordpress, so help is never far away if you get stuck on a problem.
    • You can charge a lot more money, for a lot less effort once you are a skilled wordpress developer, and are good at meeting your clients needs using wordpress.

There are many many more benefits to using wordpress over static html/css websites, too many to list here quite honestly.

Maybe you aren't into learning about more code though, in which case, I suggest finding someone who is good at building wordpress themes to partner up with. Then you can design the websites, and they can build them for you.

Ok thanks for the replies guys. Despite the benefits, it seems WordPress won't be something I will learn in the very near future then. I feel like standard pages are more easier to work with even though they may take longer to edit. Also, they just feel more right with me for now. I'm sure eventually I will conquer the whole method behind WP though.

In contrast to dinosaurs (obviously uninformed)opinion
    If you want to disagree with me then feel free to do so. However keep your offensive comments to yourself.

I'm sure peachhunter12 will manage to discover that the marketing hype you post is rather optimistic, and will either find the limitations acceptable or decide to learn how to work directly with code and find that more satisfying. Either way it is not going to make any difference to me; I do quite well in spite of my uninformed opinion.

If it is a duel you are looking for look me up on the big Q/A site where I spend most of my time.

LOL a duel?! I just don't like uninformed opinions, and feel the need to correct your misinformation.

In my experience, wordpress can do everything you say it cannot, and is not limited to what you say. I'm sorry if you don't like being corrected.

Oh I don't mind being corrected by an intelligent presentation of facts, but all we see here is something that looks like it was cut and pasted from a wordpress marketing brochure. I have somewhere over 50,000 post on Q/A sites and forums. Thousands of them are to fix problems with Wordpress and other template based approaches. You don't do questioners any favors when you give them advertising hype instead of dealing with the reality of what they can run into if they assume "easy" actually turns out that way.

Oh give it up already.

Quote from the OP:
    "I would like to know why someone would choose WordPress over standard HTML pages".

I presented them with a list of reasons why someone would choose wordpress over standard html pages.

Of course it's going to sound like marketing if I'm giving a list of reasons to use wordpress over html. I'm highlighting the benefits.

The OP didn't ask why not to use wordpress, in case you didn't notice.

The only thing with a question mark is: " What are your thoughts? "

Fortunately I kept it to the topic of the preamble instead of the X-rated thoughts.

Thread Information