www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: webdeveloper.internet.com Red-Listed at Avast WebRep

webdeveloper.internet.com Red-Listed at Avast WebRep

Hi Forum Administrators - you may or may not have noticed it already:

All of webdeveloper.internet.com appears to have become redlisted in the Avast WebRep database.

Red warning icons, signaling a "Bad" rating, are added to all pages at that domain and to search results from the domain, as viewed on any computer that has Avast Antivirus installed and the WebRep browser plugin enabled. (It is enabled as default.)

The sister domain webdeveloper.com is not affected, as far as I can see.

I am posting this because I thought you would like to know. My impression is that Avast Antivirus itself has a good reputation. It is widely used, with an estimated 150 million users worldwide and a market share around 16 percent.

But the quality of their new WebRep voting system has been criticized from a number of sides - seemingly not without reason.

---
    P.S.
    At the time of writing, webdeveloper.internet.com is closed for scheduled maintenance. Even that notice has been rated bad, "based on many votes", according to the red icon that accompanies it on my Avast-protected computer. A similar message concerning webdeveloper.com last night had - if I remember right - a green icon, indicating it was good based on a small number of votes.

I'll send in a report - but http://webdeveloper.internet.com/ is probably an old dead URL.

webdeveloper.internet.com should not be a landing page. It should be redirecting (301) to www.webdeveloper.com.

Thanks for the notice. I'll point this out to our network admins.

Brad!

There are signs that you took action promptly.

The forum's dual domain name structure, which I erroneously thought was intentional, disappeared during the weekend, as viewed from here.

Some of the redlisted search results from webdeveloper.internet.com have disappeared too. The rest have turned into dead links, likely to be removed automatically by Google in the next round of indexing.

(Not unexpectedly, the messages "not found on this server" I get when clicking them are rated bad by Avast "based on many votes". A possible discussion pro et con Avast credibility probably belongs to elsewhere.)

The red icons alluded to content categories of a kind that forum members might not like to see their names associated with.

At least I did't, and that is how I discovered the phenomenon. Good those red icons are on their way out.

Thanks for your efforts!

Thread Information