dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Anchor link scrolls vertically AND horizontally

Anchor link scrolls vertically AND horizontally

I would like to create a page where the nav floats and doesnt move, and where the links send the user down and then over to one side. When the user clicks another link, the page moves back to the center and then goes up or down to the new location.
    I am not worried about the stationary nav. I have seen examples of a link moving the page down as here:
    http://www.position-relative.net/creation/anchor/

but not also horizontal AFTER they move down. Down and then over. Does that make sense?
    thanks,
    Dan

If you do not want the nav to move, can can either choose its positioning to be fixed or else use javascript to adjust its coordinates as the page scrolls.
    You can use named anchors to send the user down to a specific vertical position. However because good user experience advise not to have a horizontal scroll bar, I don't see how to move to one side. By the way the end-user scans the information to determine what's relevant to her. I see no reason to waste time trying to achieve a horizontal shift in your web page: that would be too much jumping around.

Seriously it does not make sense unless your web page overflows horizontally the screen real estate: that's the only reason the user needs to scroll.

Usually the navigation depends on how we set our script in source code. The position should always be fixed.

Link Building

This is not a normal website. It is an artistic endeavor of mostly graphics. Part of the experience is to have a link send the user down and over. There should be no horizontal scroll bars. I dont need help with the position of the nav.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the page to scroll down and then over?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtrachtman View Post
    I have seen examples of a link moving the page down as here:
    http://www.position-relative.net/creation/anchor/

but not also horizontal AFTER they move down. Down and then over. Does that make sense?
    thanks,
    Dan
    Do you have any objections just to scrolling diagonally instead of the unnecessary tedium of doing both planes separately?
    Similarly why do you want to bore the user by scrolling back to the centre before moving to the next destination?

It cannot scroll diagonally. It is not "unnecessary tedium" or boring the user. If you saw the design of the site, it would make sense. I appreciate your input, but I don't need aesthetic evaluations at this point. I need help coding this.
    thanks,
    Dan

Thread Information