www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help out a noob!

Hybrid View

Help out a noob!

Hi, I am completely new to web development but have had lots of experience with programming in C++, Java, C#, and various scripting languages like Python and bash. I was wondering if you had suggestions for a good GUI for web development that will let me incorporate SQL queries into my website (can't seem to do this with Dreamweaver or iWeb...). I've been working in Notepad and it's driving me nuts... for a complete beginner, I don't think Notepad is the way to go.

Also, might anyone recommend some teaching material, preferably free and available online? There's a lot of old tutorials that use deprecated code (even some modern tutorials use deprecated code...) so it isn't trivial to find a good source. I'd appreciate one that's targeted at programmers rather than complete computer newbies.

Thanks!
    -Alex

I would recommend you PHP as i am also using it

There isnt really a "good" GUI for web development. I personally use Jet Brains: PHPStorm. It's a good IDE that helps with development.

depends upon your meaning of really a "good" GUI, however mostly we r using Adobe Dreamweaver, there are some others too in the market

If you are looking for a visual editor along the lines of Visual Basic, etc., you're probably looking at something like [url=http://www.embarcadero.com/products/HTML5-Builder]HTML5 Builder[/ur] (US$300). If you don't need the drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG approach, then there are dozens of code editors and IDEs out there that can get the job done much, much better than Notepad, ranging in prices from free to not-so-free. Since I'm cheap, I currently use Komodo Edit; but you should try several and find the one that works for you. not the one that works for me.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I use Crimson Editor v3.6.

Thread Information