www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting animation frames from server?

Getting animation frames from server?

Hi. I was thinking of using the canvas tag to display the frames of an animation. But maybe that is not even necessary?

Online I have a database of animations. They are stored as .flv video files, but those don't play on iPads, etc.

Also online are folders containing the actual frames, in sequentially numbered PNG files. I was thinking about just downloading and displaying those via some JavaScript and/or PHP.

The total size of download would get up to maybe 12 MB for any particular animation. Is it reasonable to expect a browser even mobile to handle that?

Ultimately I think the user would select repeatedly animations from a gallery, so ideally a page would be able to let go of the memory used showing previous animations.

I could generate animated GIFs but that would reduce the fidelity and quality, and I am not sure how much memory it would really save in the long run?

Thanks for any advice!
    Patrice

If you have a .flv version of the animations why not convert them into other format such as .mp4 you can play in iOS devices.
    Using individual images png or gif is not such a great idea because of multiple http requests involved and the size of individual files

To do that, I would need a way to convert the sequences of PNG frames into an .mp4 file from within a PHP script. Do you know of any way to do that? I could also convert the .flv to .mp4, but it would need to be done within the script. There are thousands of existing animations that would need to be bot-converted too, I guess, unless they were done the first time someone viewed them. Any suggestions on an mp4 from flv or frames converter?

Also, I seem to remember from previous attempts that we could not get mp4 files to loop. Does anyone know if they will loop correctly?

Thanks!

The adobe media encoder will certainly allow you to convert the .flv file into the .mp4 format.

Thread Information