www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Interview

Lightbulb Interview

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking but i appreciate the help.

My name is Daniel Van Riper and I'm here to request an interview for my computer class. This year we will be learning about web development and so I'm conducting a research report on Web Development in order to understand more about the occupation and whether i had might want to become a web developer myself. If you don't mind I'd appreciate your response to the interview below this paragraph. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Thanks in Advance

1. Do you like your job?

2. How and where did you get your training?

3. What are your responsibilites and duties?

4. Is the position stressful?

5. Do you work with others or is your job independent?

6. How many hours a week do you spend working at your job? At office or home?

7. What else do you think would be good information for someone wanting to become a web developer?

1. Do you like your job?
    I LOVE my job. Hate my boss though.

Google, viewing others code, and a couple books.

Site coding and maintenance as well as small application development.

Only because my boss makes it. He doesnt know a single thing about coding and puts unrealistic deadlines on complex projects. Also, he may freak out over something small.

There is one other site developer that works here. But we are usually working on seperat things.

At the office, 40+ a week. At home, 20+ a week

7. What else do you think would be good information for someone wanting to become a web developer?
    If you have the oppertunity to take on a project you dont think you are ready for, do it anyway. You will learn a lot.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by NoEffinWay; 09-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.

1. Do you like your job?
    • Yes

• Mostly self-taught

• Create/maintain web software (mostly server-side, some client-side)

• Not terribly: it varies depending on what's going on, but nothing compared to, say, an air traffic controller?

• A mix: I may spend chunks of time working on my own, but I also have to interact with other parts of the business as well as helping and being helped by other developers

• Generally around 40 hours/week, mostly at the office but occasionally telecommuting when the need arises.

• "Web Developer" is a pretty broad term, and few people can do all aspects of it really well; so you may want to figure out what aspects you are good at and/or like to do, and concentrate on being really good at them -- but at the same time you need at least a basic understanding of the other aspects so that you can effectively interface with the people who will be handling them.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Smile Thank you.

Thanks for the replies! I'll use this information on my report.

Thread Information